We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Calostemma  (Read 5773 times)

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
Re: Calostemma
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2008, 11:15:22 AM »
Yes - Paul - this is meaning exactly envious or jealous  ;D
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2008, 11:23:02 AM »
Here's a few pics that I have posted on the PBS Wiki a few years ago... I will check what other pics I have not that I might be able to get better quality pics from.  These older shots were all on my computer before it crashed a few years ago and I lost the majority of the pictures.  Sometimes posting them online can have a slight future benefit you didn't count on.... in this case making them available for posting here.  While they are poor quality pics, they at least give you the idea how some of them looked.  The dark red (so called because it appeared to be marginally darker than the normal one) and the pink were relatively small flowers, while the yellow and the cream/red hybrids had much larger, more open flowers.

Enjoy.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2008, 11:30:42 AM »
many thanks Paul ....but I'm out of words  :o :o :o

Alberto

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2008, 12:35:12 PM »
Paul, really beautiful! Are they crosses or natural forms?

Alberto
Italy
North of Italy
where summers are hot and dry and winters are cold and wet
http://picasaweb.google.com/albertogrossi60

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2008, 12:55:43 PM »
Alberto  ;)

this pics are maybe made with Photospop to make us a bit mad .....

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2008, 01:17:15 PM »
Different colours do appear in different colonies in the wild.  I would imagine that the cream/red combinations are hybrids between the "basic" red and yellows that were the two species which are now just colour forms of C. purpurea.  Things like the pink etc are I assume from a different colony, and there are other colour forms I have seen pics of.  A friend of mine apparently has 20 from different locations, but I do not know how many different colour forms there are amongst that, just that they are from different places.  I have only visited his place once (he is about 3 hours north of here) but I hope to visit him in summer when they're in flower so I can see the different plants.  I'll be doing some trading if possible of course!!  ;)

And Hans..... NO photoshopping was done.  :o  The last couple of years I haven't managed to time visits to them flowering at their best but I'll take better pics this summer, as I'll be working at the Bot Gardens again so I'll be able to see them regularly this year. 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

arillady

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2008, 03:46:23 AM »
I had no idea there were so many forms of Calostemma - thanks Paul for sharing.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2008, 04:43:03 AM »
Pat,

That was why I am interested in seeing your "dirty white".  There are so many variabiles and I have only seen a fraction of them, and never in the wild.  I'd like to collect as many colours as I possibly (and logistically  ;)) can.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal