We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Lobivia haematantha seeds aviable ( Cacti )  (Read 2197 times)

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
Lobivia haematantha seeds aviable ( Cacti )
« on: August 14, 2008, 12:32:04 PM »
Hi all ,

I have in this year succsessfull pollinatet some of my Lobivia haematanha and I would offer now seeds for swap .

Enclosed are some pics -sorry the pics with flowers are very old slides ...

If anybody is interestet to swap with me please send me a PM....I'm always interestet for Amaryllidaceae ....

Cheers
Hans
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Lobivia haematantha seeds aviable ( Cacti )
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 01:19:00 PM »
Hans,

Interesting to see the pics of your plants.  They're much more heavily spined than the one plant I have here, although the flower matches by the look of it.  My plant is much more "finger" shaped, with absolutely massive flowers.  Fascinating to see the differences.  Mine was purchased from someone who was a cactus collector and checked to make sure their plants were correct, so I imagine it is just differences in the original source colonies.  Without the flowers I would never have thought they could be the same thing.  Isn't the plant kingdom amazing!!!  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
Re: Lobivia haematantha seeds aviable ( Cacti )
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 01:38:30 PM »
Paul ,

By my travels in Argentina it was able for me to visit some populations of Lobibia haematantha -fascinating .
Near every shows a other form -some KM in the north has a population real long black thorns -some KM in the south has this plants yellow and white flowers ( descript as L.elongata ).
A little in the south -west are other plants found ( R 165 ) with thick black thorns - more in the south grows L. haematantha v.jasimanesis and in a other valley grows L.haematanha v. antennifera -and last near Cafayate grows L. haematantha v. viridis ....
Each population is mostly uniform -but some KM later you believe you have found a other species .....

Cacti are very young in evulation -so they are not 100 % genetic fixed .....in each valley or on the next mountain you can find a other form .

I agree again with you : it is really amazing !!!
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal