We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Narcissus hardiness  (Read 4103 times)

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
Re: Narcissus hardiness
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2008, 06:13:44 PM »
I have never been able to overwinter any of the hoops outside near Oerebro
The other small ones may survive a year or two but not for long.
I think the climatic difference between the Iberian peninsula and Sweden is too great.
I suggest pot culture but it is difficult because of the low levels of light here.
Göte.

PS
I, or rather my wife, found an N. assoanus in the gravel of a path.
I have no idea how it got there it must have seeded.   
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Lars S

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2008, 07:59:10 PM »
OK Göte, thank´s

With my limited experience so far it seems as though the rupicolas and bulbocodiums are hardy enough if grown in a glass house. I haven´t tried them outside yet. I remember Henrik Zetterlund of the Göteborg botanical garden saying once that he thought that N roumiexii was pretty hardy. The problem with daylight being scarce in autumn and winter still remains I suppose. Maybe its possible to find some selections that bloom a bit later in the year ... I am also going to try N triandrus "Angels tears" and N cyclamineus in pots this winter.

Funny with your N assoanus Göte. Sometimes it seems that seeds that "escape" works best.

Yes Maggi, I also think it is a pity that these narcissi are not grown more. In Sweden you won´t anything
a apart from the standard trumpet cultivars in the garden centers.

Lars
Lars in Stockholm
USDA-zone 6 or there about

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2008, 06:59:55 PM »
I think that the 'hoops' are generally hardy enough to grow outside here but so far I have not tried this because I can't provide a long dry spell for them :(.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal