We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Campanula raineri  (Read 1954 times)

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
Campanula raineri
« on: August 05, 2008, 11:14:10 PM »
I got these seedlings from a friend earlier this year and put them all, as tiny seedlings, into one pot.  Now they have started to grow and look quite nice.  So I started reading about them in my dwarf campanula book.  It tells me there are a number of forms, but that often seed is not true.  Here they are in the pot.  Can anyone tell from the foliage whether I have the real McCoy or not?  I'm wondering, also whether to split them into several pots or keep in a single pot, with a view to showing them if they turn out nice.  Any thoughts on that folks?  Not sure whether they 'run' for instance....
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Campanula raineri
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 04:08:51 AM »
Chris, there's no picture that I can see.

However, C. raineri IS a running species, quite widely when happy - but never dangerously - and like most runners really doesn't like pot culture at all except for a very short time. I find they're OK in a good sized trough, with plenty room to move about but in controllable conditions where they won't get overpowered by bigger plants. Having said that, there have been some great plants shown on the Forum, taken at various shows, of running species, so obviously some people have the knack. Mine tend to make for the sides of the pot and leave the middle empty.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 04:11:14 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ChrisB

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 07:31:54 AM »
Sorry Lesley, et al, went to bed and forgot I had not attached the picture.  Here it is, and thanks Lesley for the advice.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 09:28:52 PM »
C. raineri tends to be quite greyish in the leaf though it does vary in size etc, so maybe. But if I had no other information I'd be inclined to say these look a bit like C. carpatha. I'd certainly put them into more than one pot if there are several seedlings. Try a couple in a trough maybe. C. carpatha isn't a runner, but a tufter. :) Someone other than me must be looking here?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ChrisB

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 11:06:00 PM »
Thanks Lesley.  I was looking under the foliage today and could not see any sign of the seedlings running yet, though it is early days.  They look much more like clumpers to me, so perhaps I should put in separate pots while its still relatively easy to do so.  Certainly looks as if they are going to be healthy plants.  Expect it will be next year before I see any flowers.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal