General Subjects > Alpines

Feb. 2007 Issue of "The Garden" RHS Magazine

(1/5) > >>

Maggi Young:
I've just opened the latest issue of the RHS publication, The Garden and was delighted to find an article on the wonderful gardens at Utrecht Botanic Garden, where Wiert Nieuman has overseen some of the most innovative containers for the rock garden. You may remember some interesting pictures from there in the Old Forum, from the visits to  the Dutch International Conference of Alpine Plants, see this page:
http://www.srgc.org.uk/discus/messages/1078/10834.html
 I propose to re-post some pix from that page here, to illustrate the exciting things happening in Utrecht.
After the main article in The Garden, there is a super page headed,"Reclaim and Recycle" where Kaye Griffiths shows how she has constructed a planter from a very large roof tile, and some bricks and terracottta pipes for the RHS Harlow Carr garden.

Kaye Griffith and Henk Westerhof, who took the first batch of photos reposted here.

You can see the captions on the old forum, I just wanted to give you the flavour here.
It would be terrific if we were able to show here some photos of what Kay has made: perhaps she will read this and oblige?

The example Kaye shows in the magazine is along the lines of those planters in the first of Henk's photos.
No intention of any naturalism, just a great home for plants.

Maggi Young:
The thumbnail pix will all "click" to enlarge, of course.
Here are a few of Ian Young's pix from Utrecht BG, again showing their new age plantings, not that this is, by any means, all there is to these wonderful gardens, as you will see from the Old Forum. Ian was greatly impressed by what he saw there. Reclaim, recycle, make do and mend, all a great inspiration to those who have no natural stone to work with to build a "rock" garden.

Ian had never seen a bigger Haberlea rhodopensis than the one flourishing on the top of this ball of broken paving stones!

henkw:
Here some more pictures from the botanical garden in Utrecht.

Henk Westerhof

henkw:
another shot

Joakim B:
You can have more than one picture in the post by using "more attachments" under "additional options"
Really interesting pictures
Thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version