We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Helleborus niger seeds ex Slovenia aviable  (Read 1629 times)

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
Helleborus niger seeds ex Slovenia aviable
« on: August 01, 2008, 02:56:10 PM »
Hi all ,

I can offer fresh collect ( from my last trip ) seeds of Helleborus niger ( or a ssp.)
this seeds are collect in the Julian Alps ( Slovenia ) on a altitude from 1300 - 1500 m .

In the WWW I have found the information that this plants from Slowenia maybe could flower pink ....

.....In the Triglav National Park Will McLewin has found forms which rapidly turn deep pink soon after the first flower on the plant is fertilised. Eric Hilton, writing in the AGS Bulletin in 1983 reports an interesting find south east of Klagenfurt in Austria, across the Yugoslavian border from Will McLewin's plants. In this population 'many of the plants were not the expected white but a kind of rusty rose. This is not a change of colour resultant upon fading or fertilisation,' he continues, 'for the unopened buds were of that same hue.' So it is clear that forms other than pure white do exist and this colouring is not found only in fertilised flowers.

Joe Sharman and Alan Leslie found populations with pink flowers in Slovenia and Elizabeth Strangman has also found them in the same general area. It seems that there are a number of separate populations with a greater or lesser degree of pink in the flowers, these being restricted to a relatively small area stretching from Klagenfurt in southern Austria into Slovenia, especially near the Italian border and as far south as Delnice; but there are also white flowered colonies in the same area......

If anybody is interestet so please feel free to send me a PM

Best wishes
Hans
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 03:06:41 PM by Hans Joschko »
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Helleborus niger seeds ex Slovenia aviable
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 12:07:26 AM »
Fascinating, Hans.  I didn't realise that there were forms that opened pink rather than just aging to pink.  Always good to learn something knew.  :D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
Re: Helleborus niger seeds ex Slovenia aviable
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 11:47:48 AM »
Hans

years ago when we were in the area south of Klagenfurt on the border of Slovenia there were masses of niger and they were all pink. We were more uneducated in those days and as they were the only ones we had seen in the wild, did not realise that this was anything special.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal