Memorable Topics – Threads and posts that are just too good to lose > Plant Information and Portraits

Polygonatum, A pictorial guide

<< < (2/44) > >>

Afloden:
And the last for the night...

The first few are lasianthum from Japan and Korea. This is really nice species, but can run around quite a lot with its long rhizomes. The flowers are held out under the leaves on long pedicels (native to rainy areas?) and are fairly large and fragrant like odoratum.

followed by a picture of the flowers of macropodum. Sorry no stem or leaves. I just got this from a friend and the plant looked awful, but the flowers continued. This is what I believe most offer as cyrtonema, but since I have yet verify it I cannot say for sure. The flowers are fragrant, but I forget what like. It was very sweet if I remember right. It is a large plant to 1m.

The next is the common multiflorum, and its mutant "Multifide" which may be "ramosum." Forms like this have been reported several times in pubescens and biflorum, but ended up as herbarium specimens.

Then there are a few of P. nodosum. This is another small plant, <20cm, that grows mostly parallel to the ground. It has large flowers, 4cm, for its size. No fragrance that I can sense. It makes a nice low plant with really attractive leaves when not eaten by slugs.

Polygonatum_lasianthum_HC970391_2.JPG
 Polygonatum_lasianthum_HC970391_3.JPG
 Polygonatum_lasianthum_HC.JPG
 Polygonatum_macropodum_CY.jpg
 Polygonatum_multiflorum4.JPG
 Polygonatum_Mulitifide_2008_DSCN0052.JPG
 Polygonatum_nodosum_CY_habit.jpg
 Polygonatum_nodosum_flower.jpg

fermi de Sousa:
Aaron,
excellent work!
Thank you for your time and effort!
cheers
fermi

Brian Ellis:
A most interesting and informative thread Aaron, the Polygonatum Kingianum are most attractive, I must look out for them. I look forward to seeing more?  :)

Giles:
Opened my eyes!!!
Thankyou, Giles

Carlo:
Great resource Aaron...how about we do more of this everybody?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version