We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Polygonatum, A pictorial guide  (Read 100656 times)

Afloden

• why not ask him..... he'll know !
Re: Polygonatum, A pictoral guide
« Reply #150 on: February 15, 2011, 09:38:43 PM »
Polygonatum geminiflorum is currently in cultivation and the two clones I have seen under this name are vastly different. One is the McBeath collection from the Himachal Pradesh and another is a form I have found out originated at Washfields. When I don't know, but I am hoping someone might have a list that might hint at the origin of the plant that can be seen at http://www.farreachesfarm.com/polygonatum/ and also at Asianflora.com.

I have both forms and hope to see flowers this spring, but the origin of the latter would be very helpful. It is most likely of Indian origin and a recent collection from the Sino-Himalayan Plant Association might be the same plant.

Also, Washfield's apparently offered a form of P. hirtum I have pictured as the dwarf form that is offered by Plant Delights Nursery here in the states. I'd like to know if they listed the origin of that also. I have a feeling it may be the Brian Mathew clone from Greece.

Aaron
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 09:40:58 PM by Afloden »
Missouri, at the northeast edge of the Ozark Plateau

Johan Nilson

« Reply #151 on: February 18, 2011, 05:14:44 PM »
Aaron,

Thank a lot for Id's!
This is very helpful!

I will get back to you about the origin of the Shanghai plant.

Johan
Johan
Gothenburg/Sweden

Johan Nilson

« Reply #152 on: February 19, 2011, 11:55:07 PM »
Here are some Polygonatums from the wild. Pictures taken in North Sikkim, India 2009. (I have posted this earlier on another thread but thought they belonged here)

as follows
Polygonatum hookerii
Polygonatum cirrhifolium
Polygonatum sp
Polugonatum aff. kansuense??? X2
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 12:12:09 AM by Johan Nilson »
Johan
Gothenburg/Sweden

arisaema

« Reply #153 on: April 16, 2011, 09:07:05 AM »
Polygonatum anomalum at locus classicus in Hailuogou, around 3000m altitude.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #154 on: April 17, 2011, 10:48:28 PM »
Some remarkable plants there - sp 5 looks very interesting with its dark foliage.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

manicbotanic

« Reply #155 on: May 01, 2011, 11:52:40 AM »
i bought this yesterday foom local alpine show.the label says biflorum?i thought it looked very different.
what do you think any ideas.
thanks.sean

Afloden

« Reply #156 on: May 02, 2011, 02:53:34 AM »
That is Polygonatum pubescens, the other North American species. In picture 2 you can see the little hairs on the back of the leaves. The greenish flowers pinched above the tepals is also characteristic of this species. It should have a cinnamon-like smell at close range; a feature shared with the bracteate species from East Asia.

Aaron

arisaema

« Reply #157 on: May 04, 2011, 09:15:26 PM »
Polygonatum anomalum in flower :)

manicbotanic

« Reply #158 on: May 08, 2011, 09:00:02 PM »
any ideas bought as roseum?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 09:16:06 PM by manicbotanic »

manicbotanic

« Reply #159 on: May 08, 2011, 09:20:37 PM »
polygonatum prattii?? polygonatum oppositifolium perhaps?i like the red colouration at the leaf bases.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 09:22:39 PM by manicbotanic »

Afloden

« Reply #160 on: May 10, 2011, 12:47:07 PM »
 As best I can tell that does look like Polygonatum roseum. The rhizome on roseum is long and terete, the leaves usually in threes or 1-2.

That also looks like P. prattii, but prattii is close in appearance to P. stewartianum when immature or not growing vigorously. Prattii usually has spirally alternate leaves except at the apex where they are 3-4 whorled. A full plant picture would be nice.

The last one is strange. A full plant picture would be good as well as what the rhizome looks like and a flower dissected. P. oppositifolium has opposite leaves and long reddish striped flowers. If this is from Chen Yi it is not oppositifolium as that species only grows near Medog, Tibet in China. Is the stem scabrous or pubescent? It looks a little that way. Are the leaf apices cirrhose or not?

Aaron

manicbotanic

« Reply #161 on: May 10, 2011, 05:29:09 PM »
thanyou aaron.
ok here is the plant i got as oppositifolium chen yi.the one in the pot has been in deep shade so the colouring/red pigment not as good as other.its from same plant though.hope pics help.my true oppositifolium  from crug didnt survive this last winter sadly so will have to buy again >:( the last few pics are the prattii.

manicbotanic

« Reply #162 on: May 10, 2011, 05:32:07 PM »
sorry my pics large again ..i was getting the hang of it..oh and aaron the leaf tips arent chirrose and the ste is scabrous i think.

Afloden

« Reply #163 on: May 11, 2011, 02:31:11 AM »
 So thats the strange opposite leaved plant from Chen Yi. I still have never received that plant..... Not quite sure what it is. The leaves are very different from cathcartii and griffithii -- the only other two possibilities. I have seen some herbarium specimen images, but none in person. Would love to see the inside of the flowers for the filament details and ovary/style lengths.

The other plant is not prattii. The plant below is prattii. Your plant does have uncinate to cirrhose apices (more as they mature) and looks like a dark form of stewartianum. Any collection data or is this also Chen Yi?

mickeymuc

« Reply #164 on: May 12, 2011, 09:41:29 PM »
Hi everyone,

Sorry I haven'T been here for so long....here's a fantastic Polygonatum, sold as "kingianum yellow" by Crug Farms. Last year the shoot had died upon growing, but this year it sprouted properly. Without flowers, but also the brown large leaves are a show. Crug farm says it grows up to 4 m, so mine has still a long way to go  ;)
Michael

Dettingen (Erms), southwest Germany
probably zone 7 but warm in summer....

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal