We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Daffodils in the Southern Hemisphere in 2008  (Read 26062 times)

Mini-daffs

Re: Daffodils in the Southern Hemisphere in 2008
« Reply #135 on: September 15, 2008, 10:36:54 AM »
 8)
Hi
While Lesley is not around I will post some split cup photos. I have already posted a photo of a small intermediate split cup that is close to miniature in size. Todays post includes a genuine miniature split cup. However, it has nicks which mean it is not exhibition quality. However, it shows that miniature splits are obtainable. The Davis seedling bred Congress x Loch Stac is a small intermediate seedling of high quality. The other split cups are standards.
I have been doing some work on hybridising miniature split cups. We have split forms of N. watieri and N. cordubensis.
Graham, Canberra, Australia

Mini-daffs

« Reply #136 on: September 15, 2008, 10:45:05 AM »
 ;D
Hi
A few photos from today. It was too windy for hybridising and taking photos later in the day. The apodanthe hybrid and the jonquilla hybrid are high quality exhibition standard.

galahad

• Ross
    • Wild Hybrid
« Reply #137 on: September 15, 2008, 11:13:15 AM »
Does Lesley get a bit worked up over the splits?

8)
Hi
While Lesley is not around I will post some split cup photos. I have already posted a photo of a small intermediate split cup that is close to miniature in size. Todays post includes a genuine miniature split cup. However, it has nicks which mean it is not exhibition quality. However, it shows that miniature splits are obtainable. The Davis seedling bred Congress x Loch Stac is a small intermediate seedling of high quality. The other split cups are standards.
I have been doing some work on hybridising miniature split cups. We have split forms of N. watieri and N. cordubensis.

Christchurch, New Zealand

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #138 on: September 15, 2008, 04:58:33 PM »
Some very lovely triandrus hybrids there. I too find the species difficult to keep.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #139 on: September 15, 2008, 05:24:43 PM »
Does Lesley get a bit worked up over the splits?

The words 'bears', 'poo' and 'woods' spring to mind.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #140 on: September 16, 2008, 02:21:03 AM »
Graham et al, while this may seem to come from Otto (a man of exquisite taste and refinement), believe me, it comes straight from Lesley and I AM around, and seeing what's going on here!!!. I think Martin has said everything I would have said, so I'll shan't add to his very pertinent comments.
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #141 on: September 16, 2008, 02:47:51 AM »
Hello Leslotto!!  ;D 

Graham,

Wonderful photos.  While I hate that I missed the show here, I did so enjoy the trip to Victoria..... so it is sort of a "swings and roundabouts" type feeling.  Glad it all went well and that there were good entries.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Mini-daffs

« Reply #142 on: September 16, 2008, 10:53:22 AM »
 8)
Hi
Just when you think it is safe to post splits Otto turns into Lesley!! :o
Martin have you turned into Lesley as well?? :o
Ross you may have worked out that Lesley is not keen on splits at all. :D
Lesley, I have included a photo of a miniature double especially for you!! It is one of Rod Barwick's flowers. I have also included a photo of N. watieri split cup form to show that splits can be naturally occurring. Splits are very popular amongst the public because they are so different. I have been doing a few crosses in the hope of getting some nice miniature split cups.
Anne you are very consistent in your choices--an eye for the expensive ones!!
Paul, good to hear that you enjoyed you trip to Victoria. The Show was a bit down on quality compared to previous years but there was still plenty to see.

Mini-daffs

« Reply #143 on: September 16, 2008, 12:44:29 PM »
 ;D
Hi
A few more photos. This time it is some photos of our smallest triandus hybrids to date for Anne. Not sure whether they will only have one flower or multiple flowers once the bulb size increases. They have good form so I suspect the pollen parent was our N triandus triandus exhibition form. It can have up to 6 forets so there is a good chance of having more than one flower to a stem. I repotted some of our triandus hybrids this year and have been rewarded with up to 3 florets per stem this year. Most of these seedlings are intermediate in size but there are some smaller miniature ones. The best thing is the overlapping high quality perianths. They come in a variety of colours and colour combinations.
The "secret" to growing N triandus triandus successfully is to keep them dry during summer. They simply don't like moisture during summer.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 01:48:55 PM by Mini-daffs »

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #144 on: September 16, 2008, 02:21:15 PM »
Graham

Your smallest triandrus hybrids are wonderful, they are my favourite small daffodil, even if I find them difficult to keep - thanks for the 'secret'.

Unlike Lesley I do like your split cup daffodils.  On the other hand, the miniature double you included for Lesley, ranks with Rip Van Winkle as one of the nastiest daffodils around - it should have been strangled at birth.  It is a good job we all like different things or you would not have developed the stunning cyclamineus and triandrus hybrids, along with many others.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 09:17:48 PM by art600 »
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #145 on: September 16, 2008, 07:03:10 PM »
Cute!  :D
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #146 on: September 17, 2008, 06:53:03 AM »
At Otto's over the weekend I saw a double form of N. cyclamineus.  Very strange, yet still quite interesting to me for it's unusual nature.  Definitely not particularly pleasing to the eye.  It was just lots and lots of petals, all curving back just like normal cyclamineus...... weird but cool in it's own way.  But then I like unusual and different things.

Sorry, didn't photograph it I think, and I haven't processed all the other pics I took over the weekend so nothing to post as yet.  Just home from work and going to go for a lie down to try to catch up on some sleep.  ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Mini-daffs

« Reply #147 on: September 17, 2008, 10:22:52 AM »
 :-\
Hmm, you weren't seeing double were you Paul? I suppose I could immortalise Lesley by naming a miniature split cup after her!! ;D

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #148 on: September 17, 2008, 10:48:20 AM »
:-\
Hmm, you weren't seeing double were you Paul? I suppose I could immortalise Lesley by naming a miniature split cup after her!! ;D

Good grief, Graham... have you a death wish?  :o
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #149 on: September 17, 2008, 11:52:09 AM »
Graham,

No, there was definitely only one of them!!  ;D  I actually found it quite fascinating.... I'd just never thought about what a double cyclamineus would look like.  Wish I'd photographed it to show everyone, but just didn't think of it at the time.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal