We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Lilium and allies (Cardiocrinum. Notholirion and Nomocharis) 2008  (Read 23778 times)

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
I am afraid that I have been too busy to post  - even to read :(
However, I do have some flowers.
Maggie,
Should we not open a general thread about Lilium and allies (Cardiocrinum. Notholirion and Nomocharis)?

Anyway This year I have flower in two different Cardiocrinums. If anybody knows what they are I would be garteful. It seems that there are more variations than those described.

This one flowers for the second time and I got it as var yunnanensis. If someone thinks that Cardiocrinums should not survive Swedish winters without cover they are right. I am surprised but the last few winters were rather mild of course.

The last picture shows the peculiar bracts that look like petals and fall off before the flower opens.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 11:31:09 AM by Maggi Young »
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

gote

Re: Lilium and allies : flowering July 2008
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 01:39:40 PM »
The other Cardiocrimum arrived as giganteum It is definitely larger It is over 2.5m I believe. It failed absolutely the first year, It put up a short stalk (year #0) and died leaving one offset. The first picture shows this offset year 2wo that is 2007 in April.
In May this year it was obvious that something was going to happen.
The next two shows it a week ago. Today all flowers are over.
I note that the flowers are slightly bent, that the tepals are rather loose not like a white trumpet Lilium and that they are somewhat unsymmetric.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 01:54:39 PM by Maggi Young »
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

gote

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 01:54:15 PM »
So when I am at it:
Lilium henryi never survives my winters outside. Some years ago I tried to see if I could get a more hardy variety directly from China.
It was mislabeled and I found out that it was Lilium rosthornii. According to my literature, L. rosthornii was described at the turn of the last centurey and never seen again. I understand that it is quite common in China and sometimes grown as food. a real rarity  ;) L. rosthornii is hardy here, vigorous and has a stronger stalk. It is very late in season and sets no seed with me. It scales easily, however.
Since it was a success I ordered another rosthrnii to get some variation and perhaps seed.
That one was also mislabeled and showed up as L lijiangense described as late as 1985.
Also hardy and in flower now. Note the black line in each tepal and the unusual shape of the pedicels.
It seems to be easy from seed.
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 01:57:39 PM »
Göte, great idea for a new thread... I have moved your posts here to the Bulbs General Section to make this new page!  8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

gote

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 02:03:23 PM »
Thanks for the nice words Maggie, I hope I do not take up too much space with many pics of the same species but I think that it is helpful for identification.

I forgot to say that I grow all these in semi-shade condition on humusy sandy soil with relatively low pH.

Göte 
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Göte , I am sure that this will be a popular subject.

We have grown Lilium henryi for some years and it survives and flowers but does not increase  :(
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
I don't know it as a flowering plant but the foliage in the second batch looks like what I have as Cardiocrinum caudatum. Is that a possibility?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
Göte,

If you are still looking for L. rosthornii seed, I could send you some later this (southern hemisphere) season.
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
I don't know it as a flowering plant but the foliage in the second batch looks like what I have as Cardiocrinum caudatum. Is that a possibility?

Leslie - I think you meant to write cordatum.  It is reputedly rock-hardy as it has been growing for years in the Montreal Botanic gardens.

johnw     -   +23c at 22:15
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
I didn't actually. Meant caudatum. So I've get the name wrong? What's new?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

johnw

Leslie - Can't find C. caudatum. Can you tell us more?

johnw

Magnar

• Magnar's Arctic Alpines and Perennials
Took this Nomocharis pic today. The label says N. forrestii. I hope it is correct.

Magnar in Harstad, North Norway

Magnar's Arctic Alpines and Perennials:
http://magnar.aspaker.no

Lesley Cox

• way down south !

Sorry John, I'm not only confused myself, but seems I now confusing everyone else as well.

I wrote caudatum in the first place because that's what my plants were grown as (from seed) and I've never questioned the spelling. So when I confirmed that, it was with the question, did I have the name (spelling) wrong? Obviously I did (easy enough to do, like spelling someone's name the wrong way :) and will trot out and change it ASAP. 

johnw

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
Took this Nomocharis pic today. The label says N. forrestii. I hope it is correct.

It looks identical to what I have under that name Magnar. Mine was raised from seed from Australia but I don't know its original source.

johnw

Sorry John, I'm not only confused myself, but seems I now confusing everyone else as well.

I wrote caudatum in the first place because that's what my plants were grown as (from seed) and I've never questioned the spelling. So when I confirmed that, it was with the question, did I have the name (spelling) wrong? Obviously I did (easy enough to do, like spelling someone's name the wrong way :) and will trot out and change it ASAP. 

johnw

Leslie - You will be pleased with the C. cordatum. The fragrance is very good from rather small flowers. I like it for its new foliage which is quite bronzy. Mine died down alarmingly early this year - I hope those wretched lily beetles haven't done it in (again!).

johnw

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal