We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Clivia  (Read 18619 times)

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
Re: Clivia
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2009, 03:42:44 PM »
Renate,that first pic ,miniata hyb, is a real beauty.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2009, 03:51:29 PM »
Renate - You are entirely correct, I too had to be very careful watering when the Clivias were in plastic pots.  It is amazing how they withstand drought. 

Some fantastic new colours on this site!

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2009, 04:00:27 PM »
Renate,does that Miniata hyb set any seed or is it sterile ?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 05:04:28 PM by Michael J Campbell »

Renate Brinkers

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2009, 06:40:45 PM »
Anne Karin,
I like your Norway one, looks really special. The last pic seem to be a `Light of Buddha´.
Best wishes,
Renate

Renate Brinkers

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2009, 06:53:07 PM »
Gerd,
yes, they seem to last longer.
I think yours is Clivia miniata var.citrina. It has nice, big flowers. There are not a lot of leafes to see on the picture but it looks as it has a good habit. Some of them grow like a quirl (I am not sure about this word, maybe someone can help), the leaves grow in all directions what means that you need a lot of space for one plant.
Best wishes,
Renate

Renate Brinkers

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2009, 07:01:48 PM »
Michael,
it seems to be selfsteril. Last year I got some seed from it (don´t know what was the other parent) and this year I tried to self it and got not one fruit.
The seedlings from the last year grow good. It is a funny plant because the flowers last year look really different, much more orange. Not as much as a usual one but more than this year.
Clivia colours seem to depend more from the growing conditions like other plants.
Best wishes,
Renate

Renate Brinkers

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2009, 07:26:40 PM »
John,
the drough tolerance is really amazing. I have to keep my plants in winter in a greenhouse where the temperatures often go down to 3°, but sometimes also down to 1,5° for a short time when it is really cold outside and if you keep them really dry it is no problem. Sometimes there is a leaf to cut but thats all.
Best wishes,
Renate

akoen

• My homepage
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2009, 09:38:58 PM »
Anne Karin,
I like your Norway one, looks really special. The last pic seem to be a `Light of Buddha´.

Yes it may be Light of Buddha. I am curios on the flowers.

Ill try to get seeds on the Norwegian one next time it flower. Last tame I cut them down. ::)
Anne Karin Øen, west coast of Norway. USDA zone 7 to 9, not sure.
My English is rusty.
My seedlist
http://annesblomstersider.org/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=141

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2009, 09:19:43 PM »
I grow 30-40 here, with several different variegations and a number of dwarf plants included. Most are single growth plants at the moment...I haven't had any for a long period of time. All are in plastic and I haven't had too much of a problem with rotting (except on the seedlings...I have lost some of those). They receive very little water from November to March--although I am thinking I should start watering earlier.

Renate and others...what are your particular problems (diseases, pests, virus etc.) with the genus and how are you handling them? I have occasional mealy bug which I control by hand (paint brush and isopropyl alcohol). I also have an issue from time to time with what appears to be a blackish mess between leaves--I don't believe it's a rotting leaf and it is not fatal to the plants. I try to avoid watering from overhead since I think there may be a relation between it and this problem.
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2009, 02:07:33 AM »
Carlo  - I too have had mealy bug on the Clivias and they are hard to get rid of.  I have tried alcohol and a coarse spray of Orthene, both worked after several treatment. Mealy bugs at the base of the Phormiums is another matter.

Two years ago I had scale that slithered over from a Mediterranean fan palm. Imidichloprid cleared them up but what a gooey mess they make.

johnw
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 12:07:35 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Renate Brinkers

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2009, 08:02:13 PM »
Carlo,
I also use Imidichloprid against mealy bugs. Once or twice I had red spider but it is not realy a problem because a ususal insecticide kill them, in summer I put those plants outside (protected from rain) and the red spiders die fast. Also I don´t water them from above.
Best wishes,
Renate

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2009, 06:47:47 PM »
 My Clivia plants are sorely neglected..... today I found a flower waiting to open and I never spotted it the shoot coming  :-[ It's on a lemon flowered C. miniata.... it won't make a photo, even when it opens, it is a sparsely flowered stem..... but very welcome because they plant has been so  abused by my lack of attention. It's a scruffy looking thing, but it managed to make me feel REALLY gulity  :-[ :-X
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2009, 06:54:47 PM »
They need lots more water when it's blooming time (otherwise the flowers don't bloom away from the leaves)...mine are just starting.
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2009, 06:59:43 PM »
I feel really bad about this poor lemon clivia..... it hasn't had ANY water for weeks and yet has defied the odds to put up this flower spike.... only a few buds on it, but amazing in the circumstances that it has managed any buds at all, let alone extend the stem.....must have been very determined to show me what it can do. :-\ They are so badly done by that a couple have given up the ghost over the last few months. They're tucked away on a window sill where they get forgotten, poor things.  I have apologised to the plants and promised to take better care of them in future!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2009, 01:44:30 PM »
first flowering of one of my seedlings. Sorry it is too large its my first test of a new system of resizing to get better quality
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal