We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cypripediums in Aus  (Read 3094 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Cypripediums in Aus
« on: July 03, 2008, 02:08:21 AM »
Howdy All,

Does anyone know whether there are Cypripediums available in Aus?  I know of Lynn McGough, but she isn't putting out a catalogue this year as far as I know.  Is anyone else offering them? ???

Alternatively, is anyone on here growing them who may be interested in trading or selling them privately?  I'd like to start with one variety and slowly work up from there if possible.  I adore the postings here on the forums from the northerners, but obviously I can only get them from Aussies who already have them.

Another alternative is if anyone knows nurseries who sell flasks suitable for exporting to Australia?

Thanks for any information anyone can provide. 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
Re: Cypripediums in Aus
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 09:32:22 AM »
Hi, I believe Phytesia of Belgium will send flasks worldwide. If you click on order and then 'to know more about my shipment' at the bottom of the page, it gives you prices. Hope this is of some help.

http://www.phytesia.com/particuliers_order.php

http://www.phytesia.com/shipment.php

Dave

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 02:55:32 AM »
Dave,

Thank you kindly for the links.  There's something like 25 cyp species he sells in flasks.  Must investigate how our quarantine feel about flasks and whether they can be brought in easily or not.  I wonder if anyone else wants to take part in an importation, to cut costs down or maybe end up importing a few more species.  I shall definitely find out more.

Thanks again for the info.  Brilliant!!  :D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 04:45:56 AM »
Paul,

Haven't done it myself, but I understood that flasked materials were OK. Certainly there's no import restriction on any orchid genera. Let me know if you go ahead with this.

As for alternative sources, I know that Sally took some of Lynn's imports, but have never seen them there.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 04:48:32 AM by rob krejzl »
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 05:05:31 PM »
You could also try www.crustacare.be

Dave

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 09:27:10 AM »
Dave,

Thank you kindly for the links.  There's something like 25 cyp species he sells in flasks.  Must investigate how our quarantine feel about flasks and whether they can be brought in easily or not.  I wonder if anyone else wants to take part in an importation, to cut costs down or maybe end up importing a few more species.  I shall definitely find out more.

Thanks again for the info.  Brilliant!!  :D
Paul, I may be interested in joining you in the importation of Cypripediums in flasks -but only if it doesn't send me bankrupt!!!Yes Lynn [she lives only 5 minutes away from here] grows several species and a number of the new german hybrids by the hundreds !!! these are so much easier to grow and to multiply.  A few years ago she sold these hybrids for 75 dollars each.
  When you and Yvonne come to visit us in September , I think  I may be able to give you a small plant of C. formosanum [I gave Tim nextdoor a couple last year - they flowered beautyful for him.]. Hope I'll be in a better condition by September when you are visiting , for the last 2 months I have been in constant pain ,caused by 2 protruding/ extruding discs. So no gardening at all , can't even bend down to take closeup photos of all the Snowdrops Crocus , Iris etc. bursting into bloom
   Otto
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 12:59:32 PM by Maggi Young »
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 01:00:05 PM »
Otto,

I may very well organise something with the Cyp flasks.  The last I can recall they were selling for twice that, but maybe that was longer ago than I had thought.I'm drooling over the thought of the C. formosanum.  :o  Thank you!  The back sounds VERY ouch.... I hope you improve, but for your sake not just for our visit!  ;)  Having been in constant (although not as severe as yours) pain with my CFS for years, I can understand how the pain really drags at you.  Here's hoping they can do something to fix the back?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 01:01:53 PM »
Poor Otto, I thought you had been too quiet..... now I know why.......miserable for you to have such pain. I do hope that you will soon be much recovered.

As a little note to cheer you..... we have flowers on "Australian" narcissus from you.... they are a real joy! :-*
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 02:42:02 PM »
Paul You and the others need to be carefull with the plants from the flasks. They are no so easy since they are so small. Cyps do not like very warm summers so maybe You will need to grow them indoor under light when You turn them. I do not know if storing them in the fridge for extra long time will help You turn them around but they almost need constant care not to wet and not to dry.
Some people belive that Cyp Kentuciense is the best for warm areas and Cyp reginae withstands good amounts of sun (as adult) but I am not sure of the warmth.
I can assure You that the seedlings do not thrive on neglect but small animals do as they eat the plants :(
Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 01:58:25 AM »
Thanks Joakim (and for your PM as well).  I was intending to ask for recommendations as to the most summer heat tolerant of the species, to help narrow down the firections apossible importation would take.  Any other recommendations anyone?  The heat won't affect Otto or Rob's as much, but here it definitely needs to be well taken into account.

Thanks for any advice on temperature tolerances from anyone.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 12:20:39 PM »
You are wellcome Paul
Here is a link on what is in cultivation and how easy they are. Unfortunally Cyp reginae does not seem to like warm summers.
http://www.slipperorchidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12189
Seems like C. ventricusum is a possible candidate. It can have lovely colours so it is nice.
Her is a link specially about cypripediums in warm climate and how to succseed.
http://www.slipperorchidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8555
Here it is stated that Cformosanum and C.japonicum also take the heat but be carefull with eaarly frost that might kill the plant.
I have not tested the latter two and have no experience of them.

Hope You get more info
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal