We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Prunus spinosa purpurea - looking for UK supplier  (Read 283 times)

Redmires

Prunus spinosa purpurea - looking for UK supplier
« on: March 02, 2024, 03:09:38 PM »
I'm trying to find a UK nursery that sells Prunus spinosa purpurea, so far the only one I've come across is Mt Pleasant Trees, which doesn't do mail order and would be a long drive from Yorkshire. Any suggestions? I'd prefer to buy bareroot in the autumn, but I'll take what I can get.

Can't understand why this isn't more widely sold - what's not to like about a purple-leaved version of a classic native species that flowers in early spring? Perhaps it's just hopelessly lacking in vigour, but for once I like the idea of the plant enough to take the risk...

Vinny 123

Re: Prunus spinosa purpurea - looking for UK supplier
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2024, 07:24:04 PM »
Maybe try asking here for a local to collect and ship to you?

I can think of several reasons why it isn't popular, based on the standard green form, having both planted and lived with it long-established as hedging.

It is extremely spiny with long and robust spines, it is fussy about soil - forget it on acid soils as it will sulk, it suckers like a mad thing.
So far as growth rate of the green form, it isn't fantastically fast-growing, despite being a hedging plant - the attraction in that role will probably be the spines.

Redmires

Re: Prunus spinosa purpurea - looking for UK supplier
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2024, 06:23:03 AM »
Quite a lot to ask of someone. I may end up making a weekend trip and doing some cycling or walking locally.

I guess most people buy P. spinosa as a hedging plant and/or for the wildlife value and aren't prepared to pay extra for purple leaves. I like trees and shrubs that are close to the wild type, but different - the pink single-flowered hawtorn is a favourite of mine - so it appeals to me. All (or nearly all - purple leaves will mess with camouflage, I suppose) the wildlife value of the wild type, but more ornamental.

Surprised to hear it's fussy about soil as it's so common. Loads growing along the beck that ran close to one of the houses I lived in as a child and my Dad used to make sloe gin. Very clayey soil there.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal