General Subjects > Flowers and Foliage Now

March in the Northern Hemisphere

(1/11) > >>

ashley:
Can anyone please identify this willow?
I suspect it's fairly widely available in Scotland.

Redmires:
There will be people with far more shrub expertise than me, but might it be Salix gracistyla 'Mt Aso' ?

Robert:

Rhododendron occidentale ‘Early First Contact’ is coming into bloom. This clone is one of 5 selections I made from plants found in the canyon of the North Fork of the Feather River in 2004. I became aware of these plants back in the early 1980’s when my fishing friend George and I would go fishing on Chips Creek, a tributary of the North Fork.

These clones have proven to be extremely heat tolerant and tolerant of less than ideal growing conditions here in our Sacramento garden.

The 5 selections I made from the North Fork site all bloom 2 months earlier than the type species. There were many other Rhododendron occidentale plants growing at this site, some of which bloom much later in the season. The large yellow blotch on the upper petal and pink floral tubes are attractive characteristics of this selection. The yellowish coloration of the expanding flower buds is unusual for the inland race of Rhododendron occidentale, and is very attractive.

This is a nice batch of seedlings of Primula (Dodecatheon) hendersonii RMB 944. This seed accession came from a unique ecotype of this species I found at an elevation of 5,105 feet (1,556 meters) in the Sierra Nevada Mountains of El Dorado County, California. The scapes of this ecotype are much shorter than those of the type species and they bloom about a month later. This ecotype of Primula hendersonii can be placed, taxonomically, somewhere between Primula hendersonii and Primula subalpina/P. hendersonii var. yosemitanum, found in the Central and Southern Sierra Nevada Mountains. This ecotype lacks the red roots associated with P. subalpina and is found well north of the range of P. subalpina.

This ecotype has grown well in our Sacramento garden for many years and appears capable of hybridizing with other forms of Primula hendersonii. In addition, this ecotype appears to have some tolerance to summertime irrigation when the plants are dormant. Additional trials and research are needed.

Leena:

--- Quote from: Robert on March 06, 2024, 08:12:07 PM ---This is a nice batch of seedlings of Primula (Dodecatheon) hendersonii RMB 944. This seed accession came from a unique ecotype of this species I found at an elevation of 5,105 feet (1,556 meters) in the Sierra Nevada Mountains of El Dorado County, California.

This ecotype has grown well in our Sacramento garden for many years and appears capable of hybridizing with other forms of Primula hendersonii. In addition, this ecotype appears to have some tolerance to summertime irrigation when the plants are dormant. Additional trials and research are needed.

--- End quote ---

Do you think it is also hardier as comes from a higher elevation?

Very nice azaleas! :)

Gabriela:
Early spring here in ON, although the winter is not gone yet. Huge variations in temperatures from one day to another.

Galanthus nivalis. G. elwesii and hybrids have been flowering since February.

Hellborus purpurascens, usually the first, or the second after H. niger.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version