We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Iris gracilipes  (Read 2825 times)

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
Iris gracilipes
« on: June 22, 2008, 11:18:53 AM »
I wonder if one of you learned Iris people will be able to confirm this is in fact Iris gracilipes, bought by me from a plant stall rather than a nursery, and also tell me if it is unusual for the upper foliage to become like a fall as this one has done.  The other flowers on the stem were normal, this was the final flower to open and I thought it had four falls til Sue pointed out it was a standard that had become coloured like a fall.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Iris gracilipes
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 11:52:50 AM »
Chris,

It looks about right from my memory of it.  Has been a number of years since I last grew it.  I find that periodically any Iris can have a flower that mutates between a standard and a fall.  Sometimes flowers miss a petal, or else form 2 or 4 sets instead of the traditional 3.  I don't know whether that species is prone to it or not.  I'd forgotten just how nice it is.... must track it down again one of these years.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
Re: Iris gracilipes
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 07:31:37 PM »
Thanks Paul, just what I wanted to know never grown one that behaves like this before, so it was quite interesting to see it develop. 
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal