We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Rhododendrons June 2008  (Read 5036 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Rhododendrons June 2008
« on: June 19, 2008, 01:51:50 AM »
While not prone to hysteria I must say I nearly lost it when I spied 4 buds on this R. proteoides in my cold frame.  R. proteoides can take 30 or more years to bloom and this is a 5-6 year old seedling, albeit the worst one of the seed lot.  This is mighty early for bud formation so we will see if it manages to keep the buds dormant until winter arrives.  Otherwise we shall plan a few crosses as Jens Birck says it can still flower later this year and set good seed.

Also a seedling grown as wardii which several experts suggest is probably wardii x decorum.

Finally a good rain with some mighty thunder overnight, all just in the nick of time. Only t
o 12c today.

johnw

John in coastal Nova Scotia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Rhododendrons June 2008
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 02:30:34 AM »
A gorgeous yellow, and well done, the proteoides. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 10:01:15 AM »
I hope you are right, John, though I have my doubts! R. proteoides growth buds can be very fat....... I'm not sure that there is a flower in there.... i would love to beproved wrong.... we'll watch this space..... perfectly nice baby, anyway.
The wardii x decorum is pretty........yellow is such a "good mood" colour.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnw

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 02:29:31 PM »
I've just checked other prots here and they growth buds are big but not as big as the ones on the seedling. I will confess to a mis-diagnosis if and when. A shot of buds on Jens Birck's proteoides.

A few years ago a friend had a 7 year old pronum set buds early but they failed to open the next year.  Here's a shot of it, recently moved. Nary a bud ever since.

Also a shot of Jens Birck's pronum with buds.

johnw

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 11:54:11 PM »
They look scrumptious. I had flowers on a 5 year old roxieanum a few years ago but not a thing since, though it's growing well. It's probably too dry.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

johnw

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 10:46:07 PM »
I hope you are right, John, though I have my doubts! R. proteoides growth buds can be very fat....... I'm not sure that there is a flower in there.... i would love to beproved wrong.... we'll watch

Now Maggi, I just forget how much you bet these were not flower buds. Sterling preferred but Canadian dollars acceptable.

johnw

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 11:26:18 PM »
She's Scottish John. She'll need to see the flowers fully open before she pays up. ;D

johnw

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 02:28:59 AM »
She's Scottish John. She'll need to see the flowers fully open before she pays up. ;D

Thanks for the heads up Leslie. I'm half German, half Scottish so I won't relent and I'll insist on Sterling (1£=2$). ;

johnw
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 02:33:15 AM by johnw »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 09:16:13 AM »
lesley is correct, John.... I need to see the actual flowers!! Currency exchange rates are rather tricky at the moment... what's your preferred type of chocolate?? ::)

johnw

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 11:30:41 PM »
lesley is correct, John.... I need to see the actual flowers!! Currency exchange rates are rather tricky at the moment... what's your preferred type of chocolate?? ::)

Maggi - Speaking of "usual insensitivity" (Martin B.),  this should make your head spin.

Photos of proteoides yesterday in southern garden. Of course I missed the full show but here is the evidence -  those buds were flower buds.

Wallet and all that Belgian chocolate, please. The latter are bad for your health and with that weighty wallet gone you will have a steady and even spin without the wobble.

johnw
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 11:35:12 PM by johnw »

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 02:01:19 AM »
So, how are you going to get out of that one Maggi?

Well done John. There's hope for mine then - maybe - but not this year.

johnw

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 02:21:14 AM »
So, how are you going to get out of that one Maggi?

Well done John. There's hope for mine then - maybe - but not this year.

I am sure she will manage!

Leslie -  By the way Jens Birck predicted the buds would open this year but there were a few still tight in bud.  They will probably flower after the rains tomorrow sink in and then move this autumn and abort.

I was in the southern garden yesterday and today and couldn't resist the multitude of berries that were ripe. I have never seen such heavy berry set on the native high & low bush blueberries - picked 10 cups in no time. You always have to be careful picking the low bush ones as the Clintonia is too close for comfort and easy to snag a few. We were warned as children never to eat them but I wonder how poisonous they really are. 

Also ripe were the blackberries and late raspberries.

I should have picked huckleberries too - Gaylussacia baccata.  They were awfully tasty and there's nothing like a huckleberry pie - not an easy pick though.  I just bet you would have picked  and baked up a storm.

johnw
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 02:26:52 AM by johnw »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 11:28:00 AM »
Well, well! I am astounded and utterly delighted to be proved wrong.......(such an unusual occurrence in my life, y'know!! ::)   I never imagined for a minute that those buds had flowers in.  So used to plants  like that teasing us with fat buds and then making nothing but leaves.....John, I am thrilled for you... do you think the plant, having mastered the skill of flowerbud production, will continue in future years?

Such a pretty flower, too.....which is, of course, why we are all so desperate to have them!

Sadly, wallet already empty ( see talk of emeralds elsewhere in forum  :-[ ) but when we meet,I promise to buy the chocolate and the celbratory drinks!  8) :-*

johnw

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 12:52:09 PM »
Well, well! I am astounded and utterly delighted to be proved wrong.......(such an unusual occurrence in my life, y'know!! ::)   I never imagined for a minute that those buds had flowers in.  So used to plants  like that teasing us with fat buds and then making nothing but leaves.....John, I am thrilled for you... do you think the plant, having mastered the skill of flowerbud production, will continue in future years?

Such a pretty flower, too.....which is, of course, why we are all so desperate to have them!

Sadly, wallet already empty ( see talk of emeralds elsewhere in forum  :-[ ) but when we meet,I promise to buy the chocolate and the celbratory drinks!  8) :-*

Now that's a deal. And hope you are spin-less again.

I don't expect buds again for many years, I think this was just a fluke caused by last year's drought.  Can you imagine I forgot to collect pollen and could also have crossed it with auriculatum which was in bloom across the road?  The obvious becomes more elusive by the day.

johnw

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008, 01:58:04 PM »
hmm... proteioides x auriculatum.............well, supposing the cross "took"... can you imagine how long you'd have to wait to see that flower??!!     My auriculatum is nearly 30 years old and no sign of a flower bud yet  :'(

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal