We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Salix lindleyana  (Read 463 times)

Robin Hansen

Salix lindleyana
« on: March 02, 2023, 11:23:02 PM »
I have a beautiful little ground-hugging salix with dark red catkins, tiny dark green leaves, slow-growing that was sold to me as Salix lindleyana by Siskiyou Rare Plant Nursery. I need a detailed botanical description of it and have searched, but probably in all the wrong places. I also have a similar but barely taller dwarf ground-hugging Salix with creamy yellow flowers, again slow-growing but the leaves are more yellow green although just as small that I bought from a landscaper in Eugene OR. The landscaper did not know the name of it so I have always called it 'Jon Splane' after him. I suspect this one is possibly a hybrid.

I know Salix are very difficult to tell apart but in comparing buds of the two, it's clear they are different. If I post photos, can someone help me identify or confirm identity? I have the Salix book by an English author but it's not much help.

Robin Hansen
Hansen Nursery
Coquille, Oregon USA
14 miles inland from the Pacific in SW Oregon
wet, cold snow lingering in the shady places
Robin Hansen
President, PBS
Hansen Nursery

Wim Snoeijer

Re: Salix lindleyana
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2023, 07:19:21 PM »
Perhaps an idea for you is to start a search about Salix lindleyana at https://www.catalogueoflife.org/data/taxon/6XBYD and this reference has several references for the next step.

Another source are herbarium specimens, from my part of the globe Kew and Leiden are the first for me to start with:

http://apps.kew.org/herbcat/getSearchPageResults.do?typeSpecimen=false&imageSpecimen=false&currentName=true&typeOfCollection=all_collection&familySel=&family=&collector=&collectingNumber=&genus=salix&country=&species=lindleyana&barcode=&infraspecificName=&x=61&y=5&nameOfSearchPage=search_page

https://bioportal.naturalis.nl/result?s_andOr=0&s_scientificName=&s_vernacularName=&s_family=&s_genusOrMonomial=salix&s_specificEpithet=lindleyana&s_unitID=&s_sourceSystem=&s_collectionType=&s_localityText=&s_phaseOrStage=&s_sex=&s_gatheringAgent=&s_collectorsFieldNumber=&s_kingdom=&s_phylum=&s_className=&s_order=&s_infraspecificEpithet=&s_previousUnitsText=&s_chronoStratigraphy=&s_lithoStratigraphy=&s_bioStratigraphy=&t_andOr=0&t_scientificName=&t_vernacularName=&t_family=&t_genusOrMonomial=&t_specificEpithet=&t_sourceSystem=&t_kingdom=&t_phylum=&t_className=&t_order=&t_subgenus=&t_infraspecificEpithet=&m_andOr=0&m_scientificName=&m_vernacularName=&m_family=&m_genusOrMonomial=&m_specificEpithet=&m_sourceSystem=&m_collectionType=&m_kingdom=&m_phylum=&m_className=&m_order=&m_infraspecificEpithet=&op=Zoeken&form_build_id=form-C1eqNNBV9dqa9FJeBBjCSQaxQLT3L0ljjdobAST0XJg&form_id=ndabio_advanced_taxonomysearch

Both institutes has a few Salix lindleyana herbarium specimens. My advice is to study them and go from there. Many Institutes that has a Herbarium collection have put (most of) their collection online, a hidden treasure.

Success,

Wim

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal