General Subjects > Flowers and Foliage Now

June 2022, Northern Hemisphere.

<< < (15/15)

Stefan B.:
It blooms beautifully now in my garden. :)

Petroselinum crispum (Parsley)

Graham Catlow:
Visited Bo’mains Meadow today to see the Greater Butterfly Orchid, Platanthera chlorantha.
This is a meadow managed by The Scottish Wildlife Trust and is on the outskirts of Bo’ness and a five minute drive from my home. The Northern part of the meadow is a former reservoir that has been filled in. The Southern part has been undisturbed for many years and has the main population of this butterfly orchid.
The meadow is grazed during the winter by Shetland Cattle and sheep.

The Southern Meadow

Butterfly Orchid with the Common Spotted Orchid

kris:
Two plants that flower now in the garden
1.Allium carolinianum
2.Cypripedium regina alba

Robert:

--- Quote from: Rick R. on June 28, 2022, 12:51:58 AM ---Many Lilium bulbs are quite good to eat, too.  I've tried the flower buds, buy much prefer Daylilies.  I am especially partial to the open flowers of Hemerocallis citrina, and the inferior ovary that looks like the flower stem is the best part!

This is my Lilium 'Louise'.
(Attachment Link)

It appears neither of us have the real deal, according to the RHS Lily Register
(Attachment Link)

--- End quote ---

Hi Rick,

Dahlia tubers are edible too. I have never eaten any. I will give them a try sometime. I generally have plenty of extra tubers in the autumn. I have eaten lily bulbs. I guess it is good to know that they are edible, however I was not impressed by the flavor. Daylilies are much better.  :)

All my Lilium 'Louise' are hybrids with Lilium henryi. They date back to the 1990's when I was doing a lot of lily breeding. I will have to see if I can find the records on these hybrids. Right now I have time to work with Oriental Lilies. My goal is to
'go backward' to create tough disease resistant plants that look much more like a wild species. Lilies for the cut flower trade is not my thing at all.

Mariette:
Kris, Your Cypripedium reginae alba is very beautiful, and I like the wild orchids in their natural setting shown by Graham Catlow equally well. Last Sunday we visited a local site where orchids grow wild, but found only 25% of the species in bloom we noticed 3 years ago. Obviously, spring was too dry.

Stefan, this colourful insect likes to visit the flowers of Myrrhis odorata in my garden, itīs common here since several years, too.Very pretty!

Robert, thank You so much for Your explanations concerning the culture of diplacus! Only one of the 4 seedlings of D. pictus which germinated did well enough to produce some seed, at least I hope so. Following Your advice Iīll try to get more seed to avoid inbreeding.
The first flower of a D. grandiflorus seedling will open the next days, yet the plants look a bit chlorotic. As I found no special requirements concerning pH for this species, I wonder what to do.
Eschscholzia californica self-seeds on my allotment, and the strongest plants are those which germinated in autumn. Usually our winters - Iīm living in the area we call Niederrhein - are very mild, so it may work with other Californian annuals, too.
This is a perennial which may be of culinary value, too: Dystaenia takesimana isnīt, of course, as showy as Apium graveolens in flower, but the Korean Celery does well in my garden, with  Thalictrum przewalkii to the left.

Veratrum album is in flower now.

Veratrum syn. Melanthium virginicum as well.

Years ago, there was a kind of June- or July-gap in my garden, too, when my favourites, peonies and roses, finished flowering. Since then I looked for plants to continue the show, in this case Aconitum napellus and Galega x hartlandii Alba.

Robert, what may look like rock in the clay here is actually sheer clay, easily forming into solid structures. There are no rocks in our area, neither above nor below.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version