General Subjects > Flowers and Foliage Now

June 2022, Northern Hemisphere.

<< < (2/15) > >>

Maggi Young:
Another from Anton Edwards- "Transient beauty in the rock garden"

ian mcdonald:
Seeing everyones colourful rock gardens makes me envious. At the moment all I have is a space in the lawn where I would like a crevice garden.

Robert:

--- Quote from: Maggi Young on June 05, 2022, 09:24:09 AM ---From Anton Edwards:
"Help fill the June gap with some red. Tulipa sprengeri ...

--- End quote ---

I hope someone can enlighten me concerning “the June gap”. We have a blooming gap here at our Sacramento, California garden between the succession and mass of spring blooming species and the warm/hot weather loving species that bloom during the summer. It sounds like there is a similar situation elsewhere, however I am uncertain. I thought our spring-summer transition blooming pause was more of a function of our climate and plant selection. Maybe this is due to inexperience on my part? Any thoughts on this transitional blooming pause? Based on what I have read in the past, I have the idea that those that grow purely “alpine” species have a riot of color during the spring and a drought of flowers during the summer. Many gardeners seem to grow a much wider range of species than just purely alpine species.

shelagh:
First saw Tulip sprengeri on a visit to Copenhagen Botanic they were pulling them out by the fistfull and said they were their worst weed. I thought they were lovely.

Maggi Young:
From Anton Edwards:
One of the quatrains of Omar Khayam is:
“Look to the Rose that blows about us -- Lo,
Laughing," she says, "into the World I blow:
At once the silken Tassel of my Purse
Tear, and its Treasure on the Garden throw."

Here is our own 25 year old 'Constance' about to do her stuff in Perthshire.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version