We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: May 2022 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 6322 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
May 2022 in the Northern Hemisphere
« on: May 01, 2022, 08:43:44 PM »

Akke,

Your container gardens still look great!

My work schedule can be very demanding at times. It has taken me awhile to catch up on the postings. To answer your question:

Nemophila and Limnanthes species are two that seem like they would preform well in your gardening environment. Container gardening seems especially amenable to experimentation. In your situation, autumn sowing seems like it would work well. Some experimentation might be necessary. And of course, there are many other California species to experiment with that likely have considerable garden merit.

Erythanthe bicolor (pictured above) is an annual species that I especially enjoy.

The annual Collinsia tinctoria is looking especially nice in our garden right now.

The perennial species Eriogonum umbellatum var. polyanthum has been a star performer in our garden for at least 10 years. I grew this specimen from seed I gathered in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. There was considerable seedling variation in this population. Plants grown in the ground need zero summertime irrigation – it does not rain and the weather is extremely hot. I can supply data on temperature and the vapor pressure deficit from both our Sacramento garden as well as from their native habitat. These pieces of information help quantify the environmental extremes this species endures.

Penstemon rydbergii var. oreocharis is another Sierra Nevada beauty. This plant is in a container, however this species grows equally well in our garden. In the open garden this species is tolerant of both highly moist mesic conditions as well as moderately xeric conditions.

Allium unifolium is still looking great in our garden.

I still have a great deal to work out for the summer garden. Dahlias, Zinnias, Tithonia, Cosmos, Cleome, some Erythranthe species, Epilobium, Eurybia, Symphyotrichum, and late blooming Lilium species are some of the species that help, but I am not satisfied. I sure wish that I could find another start of Salvia sinaloensis. Salvia guaranitica and Salvia chiapensis thrive in our summer garden.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Akke

• I hope the bees like it
Re: May 2022 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2022, 09:27:24 PM »
Robert

Erythante bicolor is really something to enjoy (it has got a place on my ‘list of interesting plants’), your other plants are lovely too. Allium unifolium sold here (not flowering yet) is much paler., how did you get yours?
Autumn sowing is planned, but succes will probably be dependent on the actual winter weather, now and then a small ice age turns up, last year for example, so it will be an experiment. Weather here has turned really dry again, after a few rainy days end March/start of April, there was no substantial precipitation and none is expected, farmers are having problems.

Msybe you can tell me more about growing Narcissus from seed; I’ve got seeds from Narcissus cantabricus ‘nylon group’, past two years these started flowering around Christmas here. Is it likely that seedlings will do the same?

Season might be slowing, it’s not stopping.

Narcissus poeticus var. recurvus showed up.

Tulipa batalinii ‘Bright gem’ is flowering now.

Got this one at the market, after the talk on your Tulipa.

Very different but lovely.
704568-2
Hyacinthoides mauritanica.

In the park, lonely Arum maculatum (?) appeared.

There’s more a couple of hundred meters from this, no flowers there (yet). It’s not possible to tell if this has always been here, new mowing policy did the trick or that it was just not noticed by me.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 09:30:27 PM by Akke »
Akke & Spot
Mostly bulbs. Gardening in containers and enjoying public green.
Northern part of The Netherlands, a bit above sealevel, zone 8a normally, average precipitation 875 mm.
Lots to discover.

Akke

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2022, 09:44:46 PM »
This would easily be not noticed outside containers, unless in huge numbers.

On the background 5 mm squares.

Myosotis ramosissima(?), maybe weedy otherwise, welcome here.

A weed that doesn’t go unnoticed.
704576-2
Taraxacum officinale seems welcome in the park nowadays, probably because of bees.
Akke & Spot
Northern part of The Netherlands, a bit above sealevel, zone 8a normally, average precipitation 875 mm.
Lots to discover.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2022, 06:53:23 AM »
Now in the Perthshire garden of SRGC Editor of "The Rock Garden", Anton Edwards and his wife, Margaret......

The cheery little Iris  behind the Iberis, is "Brassy"

One of the prettiest mulches to apply to your shrubs!

Rhododendrons in one shady corner of the garden are developing slowly this year in the cooler weather. Time for a frost?  Hope not!

These sunny flowers are on a dwarf Doronicum, sourced  from Grham Butler at Rumbling Bridge.

Triilium clumping nicely!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 07:58:45 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Robert

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2022, 12:45:55 PM »
Akke,

On 10 April our weather turned cold with periods of precipitation. The below average temperatures have been persistent. Rain and cool temperatures are forecasted from Sunday through Tuesday of this week. Despite the cool and at times wet weather, the spring flower display has faded. The garden is in its late spring phase with sprinklings of color here and there. [Jasmin adds:  It is still magical stepping into the garden, with beauty everywhere one sets the eye.  One can easily forget there is a world out there, which, given the state of things, and our personal inability to effect changing so much of it, the rest for the soul is very welcome.]

With the changing seasons, I am busy with harvest and the planting of summertime food and flower crops. I am hoping to get more barley harvested before the rains arrive; the rye is heavy with seed but still needs to cure before harvesting. I have harvested and continue to harvest seed from many of the California native annual species. The seeds from Layia and Lupinus have already been harvested and the plants pulled from the ground. The bare earth is now ready for summer annuals. I have seeded out soil blocks with Dahlia hybrids (some of my own and D. coccinea hybrids from Seedhunt.) and Cleome. Zinnia, Cosmos and Tithonia I generally direct seed.

I still have much to work out with the late spring and summer garden.  [We just added some more containers for gardening in areas that have usually been difficult for plantings in the ground.  The areas either get blasted with afternoon summer sun, too much shade, or never enough water, yet weeds thrive. (Those ghastly beasts!)  While there are plants that would do well under these various adverse conditions, containers will ensure the plantings thrive without encouraging the weeds.]

I [we] desire a continuation of the spring-like flower show until autumn. However, I have nothing to complain about. As I work in the edible parts of the garden I frequently look up. Beauty and flowers surround me. Our garden is truly a paradise: In a sense, I live like the Babushka Women of Chernobyl. I admire them and their simple way of life, more or less unbothered by the outside world. If what I read is true, even the Russian soldiers were disinterested in them and left them alone. [Or radiation sickness is their fate.]

I obtained seed of Allium unifolium from Seedhunt. I think some of my early blooming Alliums are garden hybrids (Allium serra x unifolium – both n=7). I grew Allium serra from my own collection. They likely crossed with Allium unifolium. Allium unifolium does seed freely in our garden. The colony in our front yard appears to have remained pure. They have dark pink flowers. In the backyard Allium unifolium and serra grew side by side; however there was not much overlap in their blooming time. The bottom line is that I like most of the California native Allium species that we grow in our garden. In some cases, there may be some dilution of their species purity, but I am not certain.

To answer some of your questions regarding your Narcissus cantabricus seedlings, I will share some of my plant breeding observations. Hopefully this will be helpful to you.

Crosses between known genetic lines generally--but not always--bring predictable results. I say “not always” because there can be plenty of surprises for many reasons. When breeders are creating new F1 hybrids they will make test crosses between their inbred lines to make sure there are no undesirable traits being expressed in their potential new F1 hybrid variety. It takes time and effort to create new inbred lines for new F1 hybrids. Of course, existing inbred lines can be used to create a new F1 hybrid, but these too are tested.

If you know a great deal about the genetic origins of your Narcissus plants, you will likely get predicable results, i.e. early blooming plants. Genetic mutations are always possible, but most likely you will have predictable results. Plants of unknown genetic origin are more likely to bring surprises that turn up as expressed recessive traits. Epigenetics can also play a part in gene expression; however I will not get into this. I hope these comments prove helpful.

I like Narcissus poeticus. Thank you for sharing the photographs. I have several seedlings coming along of this species. They will start blooming hopefully in the next year or two.

[All the photos have been so lovely.  There once was a time the birds only had breeding and nesting from mid-April to the beginning of June, but with the climate so altered, and no true winter, I have a much longer season.  Still, I have held off eggs and nesting in at least the hen Budgerigar (Gabriella), and one hen Cockatiel (Friede). Dariya had only one nesting, and I hope to hold her off from more eggs.  Naomi has been obsessive, and just had the first of her third clutch.  Redirecting her attention has been tiring.  So many changes in hopes she will decide conditions are not favorable.  At least her nutrition is great, so she has no egg binding, but I did have to medicate for Clostridia, which she is susceptible to when it is cool and damp.  How heartbreaking!  We need rain; yet, Naomi is encouraged by the barometer to self-pleasure, thinking nests and food for chicks, and is doubly susceptible to Clostridia in damp weather, no matter what conditions I provide indoors.  Miel the canary had three eggs—all from a perch!  She would not take any nest for them.  Once I padded the bottom of the cage, she stopped laying.  The other canary “Aliza” is trans (transexual), giving no clear indication of gender—Really!  Other than caught up with the birds, I am attempting to do a little in the garden.  Right now I feel more like a spectator and discusser of creative ideas.]

One of my Gilia capitata lines is in full bloom now. If all goes right they will continue blooming well into the summer. I have other lines with darker flowers, however they have a much shorter blooming cycle.  [The flowers are indeed improving with selection and length of establishment in the garden.  When Robert began, I was not impressed at all.  I thought perhaps I would confuse them with all the weeds in the garden.  Now these Gilia are among my favorites, and we delight in the number of bees attracted.]

The pink flowers of Twinning Brodiaea, Dichelostemma volubile, appear here and there in the garden, climbing through the shrubbery. [just a little weeding to do too!]

The first flowers of our California native Aquilegia formosa have started to open. [Of the Aquilegias, a personal favorite that provides late spring into early and even midsummer color.  Their blooms regularly are still opening and remain open for the duration when the West Coast Lillies (Lillium pardalinum crosses Robert is working with) open.  At that time is a fantastic show of reds and red-oranges spread throughout the garden.]

Ripening raspberries are a delight to eat. The strawberries are ripe too. Yum! Yum! [None ever make it into preserves or desserts, just our mouths!  I do miss lingonberries, but too hot here.]

The late blooming Rhododendron eastmanii has a delightful fragrance. We have Rhododendron arborescens in the front yard. Our form blooms a bit later in the season and it too has a delightful fragrance.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2022, 12:49:01 PM »

The flowers of Drymocallis lactea var. austinae are subtle. I like the strawberry-like foliage of this California native species.

The white flowers of Philadephus lewisii have a nice soft fragrance. The white flowers also alight in a magical way in the dim evening light and in the dim light before dawn. The flowers are especially nice at night when there is a full moon.  [Whites take on a magical glow in full moonlight, a lovely sprinkle throughout the garden.  The perfect dancing ground for fairies and angels.]

The pink flowers of Geranium dalmaticum are cheery in the late spring garden.

I let Geranium sanguineum seed about in our garden. All the seedlings are from a single plant. I would like some additional genes to mix into the population. It is a very common species even in our part of California, so something should come my way one of these days. [Personally, I am content with their little faces peeking about here and there.]
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

kris

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2022, 03:30:04 PM »
Now in the Perthshire garden of SRGC Editor of "The Rock Garden", Anton Edwards and his wife, Margaret......

That is a very nice garden Maggi.Look at those trillium.  when I get one flower in my Trillium I feel elated. Trilliums are not very happy in our harsh weather. I have to plant them closer to the house to keep them alive.
Here are few pictures from my garden
The Eritrichium is grown from seeds of Alplains.
The Pulsatilla nuttalliana is from my walk closer to the South Saskatchewan river.

Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Mariette

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2022, 06:57:47 PM »
Nice plants, Kris! I hope my seedlings of Trillium kamtschaticum will look as fine as Yours one day!

Akke, Your close-up of Your myosotis might make one wish to grow it. Very impressing!

Robert, Erythante bicolor is definitely one for my wishlist, too!

We´re facing drought since the beginning of April, and working in the garden becomes tiresome and frustrating. There are many annuals in the green-house waiting to be planted in the garden, but without some rain this will make no sense.

One of my sons bought an old house in April, one of the tulips in his garden shows interesting leaves.

With Arum italicum ´Warburg Strain´, both leaves and spathe are spotted.

The tree peonies are flowering, together with Geranium malviflorum.

Geranium libani is still in flower.

Smyrnium perfoliatum backs an aquilegia.

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2022, 04:53:51 PM »
A fern that you don't often see and not in a pot Gymnocarpium robertianum the Limestone Oak  fern. Looking lovely and fresh with it's new fronds.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Akke

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2022, 10:11:15 PM »
Lovely pictures.

Maggi
The variety in the Edwards garden is great, the ‘mulch’ is very attractive, enjoying the pictures make up for having another bad season for this over here.

Kris

Beautiful plants, loved the Pulsatilla.

Mariëtte

Your combinations look so fine again, do you plan them like this?
Good to see nice surprises in a (new) garden, a local gardening friend is less lucky, she found Fallopia japonica in her new garden. Myosotis here turned up last year, it hasn’t been very weedy yet and will get some space.
Your Arum italicun looks special, ‘normal’ italicum might be present in the old hortus garden.

Some rain is forecasted for tonight, otherwise weather here is the same, yesterday something wet (doesn’t deserve to be called rain) fell out of the sky, otherwise no precipitation since beginning of April, expectations are not good either. From a wet-ish start of spring, the situation in the Netherlands is ranging from dry to extremely dry regarding ground water levels. Drought is making the headlines, farmers are in distress and water levels are being raised.

Robert

Temperatures are also above average, Californian plants will be loving it here soon, adding that Nemophila and Limnanthes sown early (I spread sowing them) seem to be doing much better then late sown seeds.

The pictures of your plants and combinations showed more to enjoy, it sounds enchanting to see Philadephus lewesii in moonlight.
 Ornithogalum fimbriatum pulvirulenta is quite the opposite, hiding at night and morning.

A new one (bulb), I have a soft spot for Ornithogalum and certainly for this one.
O. umbellatum in the park (often weedy) is finally getting a chance, not a lot of mowing yet.

Iris lacustris (sown late autumn 2020) surely was a great surprise.

Didn’t expect it yet and still got impatient last couple of days. 😀 It is so much more exciting, growing this from seeds.
Strawberries in the back are not for dessert, they’re actually there for eating right away.

In my containers high season has ended (while other people talk about the start of season), at the same time there’re beauties to look forward to. Hopefully there’ll be inspiration on the forum to prolong the season, work in progress, going slow works for me.

The park still has a fine display of Allium ursinum going on, maybe rare in wild in the Netherlands, very common here.
704881-2
Just a small patch of it, filtered sunlight plays nice tricks. Hyacinthoides hispanica or some hybrid is cheering up other parts, a pity they like to hide.

Time has come to look up in the park.

Not only autumn, but spring colours seem be special as well.

Narcissus c. was bought as bulbs and no information on their history was included in their description, it will still be worth a try sowing a handful of seeds to see what happens. Your thorough explanation makes so much sense, maybe a bit more thinking before asking would be a good idea (picked up a few things about genetics and evolution along the way). Thanks. And another thanks for showing the tie-wrap trick earlier, a much better way to mark individual flowers that, for example, are hand pollinated, Narcissus c. was used for practice but marking could have been better. Same line of thinking, it might be interesting to sow Allium unifolium.
Looking forward to your Narcissus p. in a vicarious way.

Jasmin

Having read about gay birds years ago, still never thought about the possibilty of birds being trans. Considering the nests and pests, I’m starting to wonder if dogs are easier to keep as a pet, walking Spot I keep an eye on plants and birds around, no ducklings left in the park (at least one in the city canal), six invasive ones are halfway, other birds are probably either on their nests or taking care of newborns, they’re not so present anymore. According to reliable sources, the club of Randy (parrot) and Alexander (parakeet) &2 since late winter, has expanded some more, coincedence or falling leaves will tell.

While writing a few serious raindrops fell.

Shelagh

I like Gymnocarpium robertianum, the green is  fresh indeed.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 10:13:30 PM by Akke »
Akke & Spot
Lots to discover.

Robert

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2022, 08:41:21 PM »
Akke and Mariette –

Thank you for sharing the photographs of your gardens and other garden sites of interest.

Mariette,

The color combinations in your garden are exquisite!

Akke,

I [we] enjoyed the scene of the large trees in the park with the water in the foreground. The willow reminded me [us] of the pond in Monet’s garden. With calm water the reflections of the trees off the water could be a very pleasing and tranquil scene. Super!

Akke and Mariette

We share your concerns regarding drought, and other adverse variables on agriculture and our gardens. Our garden here in Sacramento is designed around an overall plan of sustainability and subsistence agriculture. It is my thought, a global peak in agricultural production is here or near. A great deal of our garden is devoted to producing calories and balanced nutrition:  we grow grains, calorie crops such as potatoes and sweet potatoes, as well as a variety of fruits and vegetables. The goal is sustainable food self-sufficiency.  [Containers are ideal additions, since they add growing space in areas where root competition would hinder plants in the ground, although not the weeds.  In this way we can diminish the weeds, make more efficient use of water, and provide both beauty and edibles.] I will get some help in this regard from food production from our Placerville property.

I think a lot about Ian Young’s admonition in his Bulb Log concerning application of Nature and the natural processes in our gardens. I like the concept of using our powers of observation to create beauty in our gardens.

This is a scene of Lupinus benthamii near our Placerville property. I attempt to create similar mass displays of seasonal color in our garden using California native annual species.

Eschscholzia caespitosa and Lupinus benthamii are in bloom in this wild scene. In a month this scene will turn brown and look more like a desert or wasteland. This is part of the natural process in our part of California. I do not want our garden to look like a desert or wasteland during the summer and autumn months, so I tend to think of our garden as an oasis, with flowers and food crops growing throughout all the seasons.

Our native Asclepias cordifolia is a food source for our endangered Monarch Butterflies. This is a native species that I wish to incorporate into our garden. Our desire is to create a garden that produces not only food, but also beauty, habitat, space and food for many other creatures.

I enjoy and appreciate our local native Viola species. This is Viola douglasii.

Keckiella breviflora var. breviflora is closely related to the genus Penstemon. When I view plants in their natural habitat I have the opportunity to consider what attributes I wish to incorporate in our garden. Sometimes I will cultivate a plant in our garden through the inspiration I received from a completely different plant species I encountered in the wild.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2022, 08:44:28 PM »

Scutellaria tuberosa is a native species I wish to incorporate into our garden. Some species require some experimentation or genetic selection before they settle well into our garden.

Castilleja affinis ssp. affinis has adjusted well to our garden. This fine specimen (grown from seed) is now approaching ten years of age in our garden. It is still thriving.  [This combination of Lupinus with Castilleja was a “happy accident”.  Both have been difficult to maintain on their own; whereas the combination has done incredibly well.]

Castilleja attenuata is an annual species. In the past, I have had some success growing this species in our garden. My desire is to establish domestic seed lines and procure seeds from wild plants as little as possible.

Our California native species, Potentilla gracilis var. fastigiata is a perennial that seeds about in our garden. I enjoy both the foliage and flowers of this species. This species is tolerant of both drought and summer irrigation, as well as sun or part shade. It is an ideal species for our oasis garden.

I want plants that are relatively easy-to-grow and look good. This seedling Pulmonaria has attractive foliage. It is a keeper.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Stefan B.

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2022, 05:58:09 PM »

ian mcdonald

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2022, 06:06:03 PM »
Th first Azalea I,ve inherited. The colour looks like Magenta? The next two Azaleas are in my neighbours garden.

Graham Catlow

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2022, 03:07:14 PM »
Here’s some from today.

Weldenia candida - just a pity the flowers only last a day.

Fritillaria camschatcencis

Rhodohypoxis ‘Albrighton’

Erinus alpinus with two Salix boydii. I’m hoping the Erinus will seed into all the crevices eventually.
Bo'ness. Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal