General Subjects > Flowers and Foliage Now

May 2022 in the Northern Hemisphere

<< < (2/9) > >>

Robert:

The flowers of Drymocallis lactea var. austinae are subtle. I like the strawberry-like foliage of this California native species.

The white flowers of Philadephus lewisii have a nice soft fragrance. The white flowers also alight in a magical way in the dim evening light and in the dim light before dawn. The flowers are especially nice at night when there is a full moon.  [Whites take on a magical glow in full moonlight, a lovely sprinkle throughout the garden.  The perfect dancing ground for fairies and angels.]

The pink flowers of Geranium dalmaticum are cheery in the late spring garden.

I let Geranium sanguineum seed about in our garden. All the seedlings are from a single plant. I would like some additional genes to mix into the population. It is a very common species even in our part of California, so something should come my way one of these days. [Personally, I am content with their little faces peeking about here and there.]

kris:

--- Quote from: Maggi Young on May 08, 2022, 06:53:23 AM ---Now in the Perthshire garden of SRGC Editor of "The Rock Garden", Anton Edwards and his wife, Margaret......

That is a very nice garden Maggi.Look at those trillium.  when I get one flower in my Trillium I feel elated. Trilliums are not very happy in our harsh weather. I have to plant them closer to the house to keep them alive.
Here are few pictures from my garden
The Eritrichium is grown from seeds of Alplains.
The Pulsatilla nuttalliana is from my walk closer to the South Saskatchewan river.

--- End quote ---

Mariette:
Nice plants, Kris! I hope my seedlings of Trillium kamtschaticum will look as fine as Yours one day!

Akke, Your close-up of Your myosotis might make one wish to grow it. Very impressing!

Robert, Erythante bicolor is definitely one for my wishlist, too!

We´re facing drought since the beginning of April, and working in the garden becomes tiresome and frustrating. There are many annuals in the green-house waiting to be planted in the garden, but without some rain this will make no sense.

One of my sons bought an old house in April, one of the tulips in his garden shows interesting leaves.

With Arum italicum ´Warburg Strain´, both leaves and spathe are spotted.

The tree peonies are flowering, together with Geranium malviflorum.

Geranium libani is still in flower.

Smyrnium perfoliatum backs an aquilegia.

shelagh:
A fern that you don't often see and not in a pot Gymnocarpium robertianum the Limestone Oak  fern. Looking lovely and fresh with it's new fronds.

Akke:
Lovely pictures.

Maggi
The variety in the Edwards garden is great, the ‘mulch’ is very attractive, enjoying the pictures make up for having another bad season for this over here.

Kris

Beautiful plants, loved the Pulsatilla.

Mariëtte

Your combinations look so fine again, do you plan them like this?
Good to see nice surprises in a (new) garden, a local gardening friend is less lucky, she found Fallopia japonica in her new garden. Myosotis here turned up last year, it hasn’t been very weedy yet and will get some space.
Your Arum italicun looks special, ‘normal’ italicum might be present in the old hortus garden.

Some rain is forecasted for tonight, otherwise weather here is the same, yesterday something wet (doesn’t deserve to be called rain) fell out of the sky, otherwise no precipitation since beginning of April, expectations are not good either. From a wet-ish start of spring, the situation in the Netherlands is ranging from dry to extremely dry regarding ground water levels. Drought is making the headlines, farmers are in distress and water levels are being raised.

Robert

Temperatures are also above average, Californian plants will be loving it here soon, adding that Nemophila and Limnanthes sown early (I spread sowing them) seem to be doing much better then late sown seeds.

The pictures of your plants and combinations showed more to enjoy, it sounds enchanting to see Philadephus lewesii in moonlight.
 Ornithogalum fimbriatum pulvirulenta is quite the opposite, hiding at night and morning.

A new one (bulb), I have a soft spot for Ornithogalum and certainly for this one.
O. umbellatum in the park (often weedy) is finally getting a chance, not a lot of mowing yet.

Iris lacustris (sown late autumn 2020) surely was a great surprise.

Didn’t expect it yet and still got impatient last couple of days. 😀 It is so much more exciting, growing this from seeds.
Strawberries in the back are not for dessert, they’re actually there for eating right away.

In my containers high season has ended (while other people talk about the start of season), at the same time there’re beauties to look forward to. Hopefully there’ll be inspiration on the forum to prolong the season, work in progress, going slow works for me.

The park still has a fine display of Allium ursinum going on, maybe rare in wild in the Netherlands, very common here.

Just a small patch of it, filtered sunlight plays nice tricks. Hyacinthoides hispanica or some hybrid is cheering up other parts, a pity they like to hide.

Time has come to look up in the park.

Not only autumn, but spring colours seem be special as well.

Narcissus c. was bought as bulbs and no information on their history was included in their description, it will still be worth a try sowing a handful of seeds to see what happens. Your thorough explanation makes so much sense, maybe a bit more thinking before asking would be a good idea (picked up a few things about genetics and evolution along the way). Thanks. And another thanks for showing the tie-wrap trick earlier, a much better way to mark individual flowers that, for example, are hand pollinated, Narcissus c. was used for practice but marking could have been better. Same line of thinking, it might be interesting to sow Allium unifolium.
Looking forward to your Narcissus p. in a vicarious way.

Jasmin

Having read about gay birds years ago, still never thought about the possibilty of birds being trans. Considering the nests and pests, I’m starting to wonder if dogs are easier to keep as a pet, walking Spot I keep an eye on plants and birds around, no ducklings left in the park (at least one in the city canal), six invasive ones are halfway, other birds are probably either on their nests or taking care of newborns, they’re not so present anymore. According to reliable sources, the club of Randy (parrot) and Alexander (parakeet) &2 since late winter, has expanded some more, coincedence or falling leaves will tell.

While writing a few serious raindrops fell.

Shelagh

I like Gymnocarpium robertianum, the green is  fresh indeed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version