General Subjects > Flowers and Foliage Now

Paeonia 2022

<< < (9/10) > >>

Maggi Young:
I echo what Ashley has written, Leena. Also I am envious of your beautiful well flowered paeonies in your garden!

Gail:
Fabulous Leena, your garden is a real treasure house of peonies.

Leena:
Thank you all. :) :)
I got interested in peonies about 15 years ago, and now most of my flowering peonies are grown from seeds. It seems suddenly I have so many peonies now. :)
I have bought some lactiflora cultivars, but actually prefer my own seed grown hybrids (quadruple hybrids, I was lucky I was given seeds ten years ago), and of course these early flowering species and hybrids.
I have lost many peonies over the years, and given away some I don't like so much like weak stemmed double lactifloras, and found out that some peonies don't like my soil.
P.officinalis types are difficult in my clay soil, and all but one P.peregrina I have grown have succumbed to rot. P.tenuifolia is another one which doesn't like my soil. It is not the climate, but more winter wetness is clay soil which they don't like and maybe my acid soil, too.
Still, there are many peonies which thrive in the same conditions, and I have learned to grow more them and given up on the ones which don't do so well.  Why try to grow something that is not suitable to your conditions when there are so many which are. Also I'm happy that most of the early peonies grow well also on semishade, as sunny beds are limited in my garden.

Gabriela:
They are all so beautiful Leena, and very happy looking :-) You can tell they like your garden.
You are right, best to grow the plants that adapt and do well in your particular conditions. There are so many species to choose from.

P. veitchii also does well here, I don't have a white form and now I think I need one :)

The hybrid with pink, large flowers is a fantastic specimen!

Leena:
Thank you Gabriela.
I have some extra white veitchii seeds in moist vermiculite.. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version