General Subjects > Flowers and Foliage Now

April in the Northern Hemisphere

<< < (3/16) > >>

Akke:
This was a lucky one.while the sun was setting, it was a close up for my neighbour to show the tulip buds as he can’t get really close.

Left Scilla Siberica and Chionodoxa are still flowering, Fritillaria meleagris is hiding a bit. Right Tulipa Cretica (dutch, sources say this isn’t Cretica) and T. humilis clones (dutch again). Grown up Frittelaria meleagris and uva-vulpis didn’t fit in, but they have two and three flowers now, I hope this means they like their treatment and it’s not a desperate attempt to sow.

This is container two, it’s been filling up over the past few weeks as well (container one just ignored winter, flowers and lots of foliage continually), they are both at my neighbours’ and lasagne style.

Mike Ireland:
Plants flowering in the garden.
Anemonella thalictroides Kikuzaki
Jeffersonia dubia
Trillium camschatcence Nemuro
Trillium kurabayashii & Anemone ranunculoides fl. pl.
Trillium kurabayashii seedlings with Corydalis solida red, pink, lilac & white forms.

Mike Ireland:
More from the garden & alpine house.
Erythronium Pagoda
Fritillaria meleagris
Lewisia tweedyi x 2

Robert:
We have experienced some wild swings in our Northern California weather over the last 5 days. First we had three days with record, to near record high temperatures. Then the weather turned cooler with strong desiccating north wind. The relative humidity was so low that ice in a glass did not form condensation on the outside of the glass. Instead sublimation took place and the ice turned directly to vapor! Needless to say, a great deal of time was spent watering the garden.

Now the skies are overcast and there has been some light rain. Not enough to do any good, but at least I do not have to race out and water plants to keep them alive. More rain and snow is forecasted, as well as below average temperatures. We will see what happens. More precipitation will be welcome.

Despite being thrashed around by the strong winds, enduring record heat, and now some rain our garden faired well.

The Cornus kousa x florida hybrids are quite beautiful and do well in our garden. This is the cultivar named ‘Stardust’.

Azalea ‘Raspberry’ is a good pink from back in the days when I bred Azaleas.

This hybrid Azalea is a good bright orange with a very compact growth habit.

This is a nice yellow Azalea from my ‘Tatiana’ grex. This selection has a very compact growth habit and is extremely floriferous.

Robert:

Early on in my Azalea breeding, I bred some huge plants (not intentionally). ‘Pink Night Life’ is a towering Rhododendron occidentale hybrid. It blooms prolifically and is extremely heat tolerant.

Azalea ‘White Night Life’ is a sister seedling of ‘Pink Night Life’. It too grows very large, blooms prolifically, and is very heat tolerant.

We grow many selections of Rhododendron kiusianum in our garden. They all seem to thrive despite our hot, dry summer weather.

Rhododendron kiusianum var. sataense blooms profusely each spring.

Diplacus aurantiacus seeds around our garden freely. In this photograph it is blooming in a container that it shares with our California native dwarf Oak, Quercus durata var. durata.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version