We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Trillium 2022  (Read 8604 times)

MarcR

Re: Trillium 2022
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2022, 04:40:54 AM »
Herman and Claire,

You have inspired me to grow more Trilliums. I grow a few mostly for the foliage.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2022, 03:33:34 PM »
Herman and Claire,

You have inspired me to grow more Trilliums. I grow a few mostly for the foliage.
Marc, Trilliums are beautiful plants for shade. They do need sufficient moisture during the growing and flowering season.
They are actually far too little used in gardens.
Belgium

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2022, 10:30:43 PM »
It is different each year. Here this was a bad year for snowdrops and hellebores, but a good one for Corydalis and also Trilliums, it seems.
It is exciting to see new seedlings flowering for the first time. :)
We have snails, too, but luckily there is not much damage in flowers, yet.

Nice Leena!
By the time they started here it got very dry so the Trilliums were not so happy this year. Yours are very good looking.
I also had a first flower in T. grandiflorum after 4 years, the clump will improve with age :)
The pink is beautiful, I cannot give an opinion on the species.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

MarcR

« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2022, 01:30:18 AM »
Herman,

Many of the plants I grow tolorate or even appreciate out long dry Summers. However my small woodland [shade] garden gets year round water.  Sun lovers that need Summer water get drip irrigation.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2022, 12:52:16 AM »
In nature, T. cuneatum naturally dies back quite early.  But given enough moisture, it will stay green and lovely for most of the season.
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2022, 08:36:32 AM »
In nature, T. cuneatum naturally dies back quite early.  But given enough moisture, it will stay green and lovely for most of the season.
Rick, here it is the same. Last year there was enough rain and the leaves stayed fresh longer than this year. This year, the rain was too late, the damage is done.
That is sometimes the unfortunate thing about growing plants, you look forward for a year to see the flower and then dry weather causes disappointment.
Belgium

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2022, 11:12:38 AM »
Trillium season has started down here in the southern hemisphere  ;D
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2022, 01:08:09 PM »
Beautiful Trillium! Here was the worst season for Trilliums (and other plants) in years because of the dry weather.
Belgium

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2022, 06:26:57 AM »
Beautiful Trillium! Here was the worst season for Trilliums (and other plants) in years because of the dry weather.

Thank you Herman. I used to have quite a number of different variations of these Westerners however my collection has diminshed somewhat over the last few years as I have converted beds to make room for other plant interests. A number of established earlier T.clumps are not as robust as previous seasons so I wonder if it is because of an extended dry period that occurred here last season. 
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2022, 06:45:07 AM »
Thank you Herman. I used to have quite a number of different variations of these Westerners however my collection has diminshed somewhat over the last few years as I have converted beds to make room for other plant interests. A number of established earlier T.clumps are not as robust as previous seasons so I wonder if it is because of an extended dry period that occurred here last season.
Dave, I'm also worried about next spring. I hope all my Trilliums survived. I also fear that the clumps will be smaller. The leaves burn fairly quickly in the spring.
Belgium

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2022, 10:47:19 AM »
Our sole Trillium has made another appearance
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2022, 09:01:20 AM »
Our sole Trillium has made another appearance
cheers
fermi

:-*

A few more from today ....

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2022, 09:12:51 AM »
More ....

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2022, 09:39:11 AM »
Dave, very nice! :)
First plants from your seeds flowered here last spring, picture in the previous page.
I'm so happy they do well here.
Leena from south of Finland

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2022, 09:09:01 AM »
Dave, very nice! :)
First plants from your seeds flowered here last spring, picture in the previous page.
I'm so happy they do well here.

Thank you Leena and great to hear the seed has done well for you. There looks to be some lovely variation there.
Cheers.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal