We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Trillium 2022  (Read 8595 times)

ruweiss

Re: Trillium 2022
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2022, 08:16:58 PM »
Trillium rivale:
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2022, 09:33:08 AM »
Nice Trilliums!
Here also Pseudotrillium rivale are starting but the weather has changed to winter again, with melting snow. They also predict night frost again, but next week the temperature will rising again.
Belgium

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2022, 01:52:34 PM »
In my garden, this depends on the clone. Some bulk very quickly whereas a nice green-flowered Trillium chloropetalum I grow doesn´t develop more than three flowers since many years, for instance. Most of the hybrids clump well, the parents of this one were given as Trillium sessile ´Rubrum´ and albidum, the former being a somewhat doubtful name.

Trillium kurabayashii generally clumps well in my garden.

That's encouraging Mariette; thank you.  Some of my plants are up to 3 stems now so perhaps they're (slooooowly ;)) on their way to decent clumps .
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2022, 03:13:27 PM »
Saw mention of this article elsewhere and thought it might be of interest here:
Toadshades of the Santa Cruz Mountains
By: Ray Collett
https://www.pacifichorticulture.org/articles/toadshades-of-the-santa-cruz-mountains/?fbclid=IwAR2HDP7uscmact3fnJThjPYND-9BpYW-CnbsZBCJV7jVF8h2hGQc3IXiRqA

A very well written and enjoyable article Maggi. Also, how nice to see the flower variations among the wild populations. It resonates a bit with what's happening here with other Trillium species.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Gabriela

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2022, 03:15:32 PM »
In my garden, this depends on the clone. Some bulk very quickly whereas a nice green-flowered Trillium chloropetalum I grow doesn´t develop more than three flowers since many years, for instance. Most of the hybrids clump well, the parents of this one were given as Trillium sessile ´Rubrum´ and albidum, the former being a somewhat doubtful name.

It is a very handsome plant Mariette, regardless of the parentage. Does it have any fragrance? Usually T. albidum has a nice rose fragrance, which may be inherited by hybrids.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2022, 04:27:52 PM »
Trillium chloropetalum has been sown in 2015
Belgium

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2022, 04:29:12 PM »
Trillium kurabayashii yellow

Trillium kurabayashii yellow parents
Belgium

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2022, 04:30:32 PM »
Trillium ludovicianum has been sown in 2014
Belgium

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2022, 04:31:37 PM »
Trillium underwoodii has been sown in 2014.
Belgium

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2022, 09:32:59 AM »
Herman, very nice clumps of Trilliums! It is good to know the year of sowing. Also here it has taken around 7 years from sowing until flowering.

Most of the hybrids clump well, the parents of this one were given as Trillium sessile ´Rubrum´ and albidum, the former being a somewhat doubtful name.

Mariette, I like this plant very much. It has quite wide petals with nice colour. :)
Also your picture of T.kurabayashii is so nice scene.
Leena from south of Finland

Mariette

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2022, 11:02:43 AM »
Thank You, Leena! I just read that it takes well nurtured trilliums to develop the best colouring of the flowers. In former years I was slightly disappointed by the washed-off colouring of this hybrid´s flowers, which were no match for the strong pattern of the leaves. Nowadays I try to feed my trilliums every year, and now the colour of this hybrid has improved.

@ Gabriela: I cannot smell any fragrance with this hybrid right now, but maybe this is because of the temperatures being rather low. We had some frost during the nights, down to - 3°C, but fortunately all trilliums escaped unscathed.
In Germany, trilliums are frequently sold under wrong names, and few people try to verify the species. This hybrid and several others were raised from seed of two trilliums friends bought as Trillium albidum and sessile rubrum. The latter is a name errouneously applied to kurabayashii, which is hardly available over here - in most cases Trillium chloropetalum is sold as "kurabayashii". Judging from the white and reddish flowering hybrids I achieved from this seed, there must be a good deal of Trillium chloropetalum in their genes.

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2022, 05:24:55 PM »
Thank You, Leena! I just read that it takes well nurtured trilliums to develop the best colouring of the flowers. In former years I was slightly disappointed by the washed-off colouring of this hybrid´s flowers, which were no match for the strong pattern of the leaves. Nowadays I try to feed my trilliums every year, and now the colour of this hybrid has improved.

Mariette, that is good to know! I have most of my Trilliums growing near Meconopsis and I have given Meconopsis plenty of manure compost, so I think Trilliums have gotten some of it too. I will have to keep in mind this when I plant new seedlings from pots to outside bed.
Leena from south of Finland

Gabriela

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2022, 09:19:32 PM »
Trillium kurabayashii yellow
Trillium kurabayashii yellow parents

Interesting how form yellow parents the seedlings came red, I would have expected some variation in color.

@ Gabriela: I cannot smell any fragrance with this hybrid right now, but maybe this is because of the temperatures being rather low. We had some frost during the nights, down to - 3°C, but fortunately all trilliums escaped unscathed.
In Germany, trilliums are frequently sold under wrong names, and few people try to verify the species. This hybrid and several others were raised from seed of two trilliums friends bought as Trillium albidum and sessile rubrum. The latter is a name errouneously applied to kurabayashii, which is hardly available over here - in most cases Trillium chloropetalum is sold as "kurabayashii". Judging from the white and reddish flowering hybrids I achieved from this seed, there must be a good deal of Trillium chloropetalum in their genes.

Mariette: honestly I wouldn't mind to have available to buy such Trillium, even if mislabeled :)
One specialized little nursery who used to have few Trilliums closed down; another one which has some Trillium is in BC (in a region called the 'tropical' region of Canada). Various few plants I purchased over the years (not Trilliums) never adapt here. So, growing from seeds remains an only option for us.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Claire Cockcroft

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2022, 06:21:23 PM »
Trillium pusillum -- this clump is old and getting too congested.  I'll have to divide it at the end of the season.

702856-0
Claire Cockcroft
Bellevue, Washington, USA  Zone 7-8

Claire Cockcroft

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2022, 06:22:31 PM »
Trillium albidum

702858-0
Claire Cockcroft
Bellevue, Washington, USA  Zone 7-8

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal