We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primula 2020  (Read 13831 times)

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
Re: Primula 2020
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2020, 09:17:44 AM »
Primula auriculata seeds were sown last December, pot kept outside for the winter and they germinated in spring, and now it looks to me like they might flower next spring:). So fast. I'm really looking forward to seeing them flower, I just hope they survive the winter.
Leena from south of Finland

ruweiss

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2020, 08:20:36 PM »
The summer rest of Primula palinuri is over and new leaves start to grow again.
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2020, 09:35:23 AM »
Primula bella. Seed ex Holubec (as P. nanobella, which is considered a synonym). Sown on 22 December 2019 in a mix of equal parts ericaceous soil and grit with some sharp sand, stood outside without protection. First germination 19 February 2020. The tiny seedlings pricked out in May in ericaceous soil + grit, always kept damp and out of direct sunlight but without overhead shade. First flowering 2 October 2020. The flower is 13 mm across and the largest rosette is 2 cm across.

This is a high-alpine Chinese species (Yunnan, Baima Shan, 4400 m) which I expected to be difficult to keep alive, so I am pleasantly surprised how well it has done - so far. It even survived a heat wave with four days above 35 degrees Celsius. Whether it will survive the coming winter is another matter; I plan to give it some protection against winter wet.
(Attachment Link)
chinese species are gorgous, the leaves of this one look attractive.
Did you let the pots without protection during 2019 winter?
North of France

Tristan_He

« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2020, 12:23:40 PM »
That's a lovely little primula Andre! Congratulations.

Andre Schuiteman

« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2022, 08:31:41 PM »
An update on Primula bella (apologies to Yann and Tristan – I had not seen your replies, thanks for them). Most of the plants survived their first winter (20/21) outside but protected against rain. They formed new rosettes in the spring but these did not flower in 2021. When they went dormant in the autumn of 2021 they did not seem to have formed proper resting buds and none of them reappeared in 2022. Perhaps this species is naturally short lived, or perhaps they were kept too damp in the autumn. It is often hard to tell why a plant fails. Unfortunately, it will be difficult now to get seeds of this Primula again.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 08:33:47 PM by Andre Schuiteman »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal