We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: March 2022 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 7317 times)

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
Re: March 2022 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2022, 04:40:52 PM »
Iberis Masterpiece flowers for many many months.

Narcissus rupicola one of my favourites.

Omphalodes cappadocia.

Oxalis triangularis.

Pritzilago alpina.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2022, 04:42:29 PM »
Last couple for now.

Pulsatilla vulgaris.

These are our "weeds" pretty but a pest.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2022, 06:36:31 PM »
Akke

I found the information on total sun hours very fascinating. Thank you for sharing. As part of my research I monitor and log solar radiation at various sites in the Sacramento and adjacent foothills region as well as at nearby sites in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. I use Watts per meter squared as a unit of measurement, but on a very basic level it provides the same information as total sun hours. Obviously, plants and our Earth climatic system respond to variations in the amounts of short wave radiation that reaches the earth surface and is absorbed or reflected back into the atmosphere (albedo). The amount of long wave radiation absorbed by aerosols in the atmosphere (water vapor, CO2, etc.) and then is reemitted (emissivity of the atmosphere) strongly influences our climatic system. From such basic information one can build a simple surface energy budget for the whole planet or their backyard. A surface energy budget could be considered a fancy way of describing microclimates within our garden ecosystems. With climate change or just internal seasonal variation in the weather, we as gardeners consider how climatic variables are influencing our gardens as well as individual plant species that we are, or would like to grow in our gardens. Solar radiation is a big consideration. Clearly I like to look at these things in a very technical way, however simple is valid and works too.

Mariette –

I grow Diplacus pictus and D. grandiflorus, as well as many other California native Phrymaceae. Diplacus grandiflorus is native to sites within my area of research. I see them frequently depending on where I am gathering information. You most likely know that Diplacus grandiflorus is a perennial species, however it can be grown and maintained as an annual. Diplacus grandiflorus and other closely related species have been used to create garden hybrids that are still being used today in horticulture in our part of California. I am very excited about the use of these species in your garden and will be keenly interested to learn how they perform within your garden environment. If it is convenient, keep us all posted on their development over time. I am even interested in the parts of the project that do not go well or as excepted. Mistakes and things that do not go right are just happy accidents (think Bob Ross) that we can learn from. At least this is how it works for me.

Rick –

Thank you for sharing your experiences with Phacelia campanularia. Annual species that are native to California are not what I would expect to see in a Minnesota garden. I enjoy your sense of adventure and experimentation in trying the unexpected in your garden.

For the most part, I grow all of my native California annual species (and some native perennial species too) using soil plugs, i.e. no pots. I use the same soil mix that I use for starting vegetables, so the mixture is moderately rich. As stated earlier, I plant the seeds as early as possible in the autumn. I keep the plants growing and move the seedlings to larger sized plugs or into the ground/large containers as quickly as needed. In the large containers I use a moderately rich soil but different than the mix used for the soil plugs. Since the plants are native to California, cold winter temperatures does not slow or stop their development. All the species I have tried to date have thrived and bloomed well using this method. A number of native species have naturalized in our garden, both annual and perennial species. Needless to say, I never need to plant them, just thin, remove, or move as needed. As a side note, there are very few or no annual species in truly alpine regions. Most often the growing season is too short for the plants to complete their seed-to-seed life cycle.

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for sharing photographs of the interesting alpine species that you grow. They are species that I know absolutely nothing, including the Western North American Species. For the most part, our extremely hot and dry climate here in Sacramento is not conducive to the cultivation of alpine plants. I am glad that you are in a position to grow these plants and share your experiences with others.

Shelagh –

It looks like your gardening season is off to a fine start. Thank you for sharing all the fine photographs. Bellis perennis is a common weed in lawns in our part of Sacramento. Your Bellis are superb compared to the weedy ones in the lawn!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 06:11:35 PM by Robert »
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

ruweiss

« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2022, 08:54:16 PM »
Shelagh,
Many thanks for showing us your goodies.
It is amazing, how many different species you cultivate
in your garden.
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Tomte

« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2022, 09:20:47 PM »
Iberis Masterpiece flowers for many many months.

Narcissus rupicola one of my favourites.

Omphalodes cappadocia.

Oxalis triangularis.

Pritzilago alpina.

Dear Shelagh,
may I ask how you cultivate your N. rupicola? It looks rather happy and rather floriferous.  I like this species a lot but it is very reluctant to increase and flower with me.
Perhaps I should add that I am particularly interested in the soil pH and conditions during the resting period. I read in several places it likes warm dry summer rest, but I suspect this may not be true.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 09:27:49 PM by Tomte »
Tom S.
Upper Bavaria close to Munich, on 700 m

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2022, 11:48:24 AM »
Tomte I tend to take the photos Brian does the cultivating but after flowering I follow Iain Young's advice and give them a pinch of sulphate of potash. They spend their resting period in our garage which is cool. I'll check with Brian and get back if there is anything I've missed. They do ofcourse get watered occasionally.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

Mike Ireland

• Erinacea anthyllis
    • Mike Ireland's Alpine Garden
« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2022, 12:03:10 PM »
Asarum maximum, Asphodelus acaulis both in the alpine house,
Corydalis seedlings in the garden along with an unknown Tulipa sp.
Help with a name for the Tulipa would be appreciated.
Mike
Humberston
N E Lincolnshire

ian mcdonald

« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2022, 04:18:04 PM »
Shelagh, I,ve been finding Chionodoxa growing "wild" around here. Garden escapes.

Tulipaholic

« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2022, 04:23:26 PM »
Mike het lijkt T. praecox.

Mariette

« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2022, 07:29:42 PM »
Leucogenes, looking at Your treasures I wish I´d live in an area where they would look and feel at home!

Shelagh, I always wondered how You find time to grow so many special plants and take pics of them to show them here. Now I realize - I´m lacking a matching husband! Great job-sharing of both of You!

Mariette

« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2022, 07:49:21 PM »

Mariette –

I grow Diplacus pictus and D. grandiflorus, as well as many other California native Phrymaceae. Diplacus grandiflorus is native to sites within my area of research. I see them frequently depending on where I am gathering information. You most likely know that Diplacus grandiflorus is a perennial species, however it can be grown and maintained as an annual. Diplacus grandiflorus and other closely related species have been used to create garden hybrids that are still being used today in horticulture in our part of California. I am very excited about the use of these species in your garden and will be keenly interested to learn how they perform within your garden environment. If it is convenient, keep us all posted on their development over time. I am even interested in the parts of the project that do not go well or as excepted. Mistakes and things that do not go right are just happy accidents (think Bob Ross) that we can learn from. At least this is how it works for me.

Robert, I just took the chance when these seeds were offered, though I don´t expect both diplacus to manage in my borders. Diplacus pictus looks very special and interesting, I´ll grow some in a pot and only surplus seedlings in a border, if there are any. Diplacus grandiflorus might be an asset on our terrace, where some potted plants suggest sunshine even when there is none. The Coronilla on the left flowered non-stop since autumn. As the winter was very mild I was able to leave it there. Both species of diplacus are germinating on our window-sill right now.

In the green-house Fritillaria kotschyana started to flower, grown from seed received 5 years ago.

A Trillium sessile-type with Geum rivale.

A double Anemone ranunculoides found on Öland.

Corydalis cava with visitor.

Akke

• I hope the bees like it
« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2022, 09:05:25 PM »
Thanks for so many lovely pictures.

Shelagh

Your Bellis perennis is showy and a good example of a ‘common’ plant grown into something special.

Robert

Total hours of sun is probably not taking into account absorption (& reemitting) and reflection or Sahara dust, this was in an internet article from the television news. Still I find it interesting which weather news makes the headlines, while some is confined to the pages of the weather institute (like; on average 2021 was pretty average, but with an extreme lot of extremes), I’ll try to be more precise about the source.  Even  though everyday weather is relatively unimportant at this moment, contrary to climate change, it’s a habit to check anyway.
Concerning weather, after a practically dry month, precipitation is expected, a few drops of rain tonight and snow tomorrow.

Some more bulbs (alpines hopefully later)

Narcissus wilkommii, very small flowers (2,0 cm) but really lovely.

I’m not sure about this opposite

Tulipa ‘Scarlett’ , more like 15 cm when open. This one has some extra petals as well.

Borrowing is very interesting, I didn’t notice these before

Escaped from a garden? Anemone nemerosa is growing nearby, Anemone ranunculoides and appenina are not so close.

‘Just fell over’
702503-3
This one looked just hanging over a bit more after the storms of February with some root damage. My guess would be that the ‘top’ (side?) of this tree got heavier as the growing season started, not much wind the day/night it went down.
Spot is there on her own initative.

Mariëtte

I hope your Diplacus  work out and I love your Fritillaria Kotschyana.

Akke & Spot
Mostly bulbs. Gardening in containers and enjoying public green.
Northern part of The Netherlands, a bit above sealevel, zone 8a normally, average precipitation 875 mm.
Lots to discover.

Mike Ireland

• Erinacea anthyllis
    • Mike Ireland's Alpine Garden
« Reply #87 on: March 31, 2022, 10:35:06 PM »
Mike het lijkt T. praecox.
Thanks for the information.  Theses tulips have appeared in the last 2-3 years, I have no idea where they came from.
They are increasing as the patches of leaves spread out but never had any seed set.

Mike.
Mike
Humberston
N E Lincolnshire

Mariette

« Reply #88 on: April 01, 2022, 07:59:41 AM »

(Attachment Link)

Borrowing is very interesting, I didn’t notice these before
(Attachment Link)
Escaped from a garden? Anemone nemerosa is growing nearby, Anemone ranunculoides and appenina are not so close.

‘Just fell over’
(Attachment Link)

This anemone looks really interesting! A good match for the other beauties You show, Akke! And You do live in a nice part of the world, obviously.  :)

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #89 on: April 01, 2022, 09:57:09 AM »
Thanks for all the kind comments.

Temte I checked with Brian and he said 1/2 strength tomato feed occasionally. Hope that helps.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal