General Subjects > Flowers and Foliage Now

March 2022 in the Northern Hemisphere

(1/20) > >>

Robert:
Akke,

The book by Janis Ruksans is called “Buried Treasures”. Timber Press published it in the USA in 2007. It would be nice if I got the name of the book correct. Oh well, James Clerk Maxwell was known to make mistakes in his mathematics, so I guess I am not the only one prone to mistakes. I read the book a number of years ago and enjoyed it immensely.

Below are some photographs of a plant nursery in Occidental, California. The nursery closed over 15 years ago and the founders of the nursery are in the Other Existence.

A scene of the nursery near the entrance.

Another view of the nursery.

The garden was attached to the nursery.

It was easy to drift into the garden.

Robert:

There was a pond in the garden.

The garden had many very interesting plant species and was very well designed.

Cupressus cashmeriana was one of many trees growing in the garden. I was given cuttings off this tree, which rooted well. Jasmin and I grew one of the cuttings on in our Sacramento garden. Unfortunately, the tree became too large before we could control its height and we had to remove the tree. It is kind of sad for me to lose this tree.

Marshall and Lester’s house was at the upper end of the garden and overlooked the whole garden. When business was slow, Marshall would invite me to the house for tea and we would talk plants for hours. I was very fortunate to have such a mentor!

The nursery is closed.

Akke:
Robert

Thanks for the beautiful pictures, the old nursery looks so peaceful and harmonious. I appreciated the Limnanthes alba very much as well, really thoughtful, good luck with the seed-gathering, it would sound better if you could do so without (destructive) fires.  Sorry to hear about your Cupresses cashmeriana, it certainly looks attractive.
‘Buried treasures’ isn’t available in the public library system, I didn’t check the university or the hortus botanicus library yet.

While thousands of Crocuses are flowering, some stood out. Spotted them thanks to Spot, she was investigating with her nose.

Behind an old grating some Crocuses (chrysanthus cv?) are growing between equally old tiles. As a species/cv probably not very interesting, the place they’re in, is. Ants?

Jasmin

Language leaves enough room for humorous (non) accidental misunderstanding, I can think of plenty examples comparing Dutch/Frisian and Dutch/German. Personally, I think it’s sort of strange that starting a conversation in English is considered normal around here, while starting in German is rude, it seems to me that mostly germans take the trouble to learn Dutch. My father had, including/espacially English/Americans, something to say about foreigners living here and not bothering to learn the language, well he was really good at them, fluent in five and different levels at a few others. He taught me the basics but was proud that my Italian ended up superior to his, rusty by now, still useful sometimes.  At the moment I still try to figure out how to relate to my mother, financial crisis and corona didn’t do my situation any good either. No pressure, your stories help me think;).

Pondering about Suiseki, creating the new mini-moss-garden-to-be, me and neighbour (joint-venture)!had a resemblance in childhood memories about stones looking good. Some, to us, collectionables were used, mostly I tried to create different circumstances. Previous moss-miniature took about four years of utter neglect. The new one was a bit more designed, trying to create different conditions, the result is better then the first set-up.

Ps seeing and listening to our birds, are Naomi an Dariya doing ok?

Nik:
Beautiful pictures of the nursery, Robert!
Spot has a good sense of appreciation, Akke!

Here is our backyard just after sunset today. As you can see, it is still winter here and not much happening. I still find it calming.

Nik:
Oops, all of them showed up 90 degrees counterclockwise. Don’t know how to fix it…

edit:
... Maggi fixed it for you

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version