We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Gentiana 2021  (Read 8993 times)

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
Re: Gentiana 2021
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2021, 09:37:53 AM »
The G. lutea flowering looks fantastic Herman. I am waiting patiently for few of my seedlings to reach flowering age. They are so difficult from seeds! but worth the wait, and I wouldn't find to buy it anyway.

Here's my young one :) maybe 4, or 5 years. I made the mistake to move it two years ago and it took a step back.

Thank you Gabriela, it has taken many years to get flowering plants in the garden.
Gabriela, they indeed don't like to be moved. G. lutea produces a lot of seeds that germinate well but it is a long way till flowering time. Many of the seedlings do not reach that flowering time, even after several years in the garden they can suddenly disappear. Once established they can live a long time, my oldest one is already 14 years in the garden.
Belgium

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2021, 07:41:58 PM »
Thank you Gabriela, it has taken many years to get flowering plants in the garden.
Gabriela, they indeed don't like to be moved. G. lutea produces a lot of seeds that germinate well but it is a long way till flowering time. Many of the seedlings do not reach that flowering time, even after several years in the garden they can suddenly disappear. Once established they can live a long time, my oldest one is already 14 years in the garden.

Thanks Herman, I know they form a taproot Herman but sometimes my actions in the garden are faster than my line of thought!
The foliage is very beautiful even if not flowering, I always admire their statuesque aspect on the mountain meadows.
Even from fresh seeds I always obtained poor germination (when not using GA3), maybe you had more luck in this regard.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

ruweiss

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2021, 09:07:21 PM »
A white seedling of Gentiana angustifolia "Iceberg Strain". The sister seedlings were in all shades
of blue. These plants are easy to cultivate and quite tolerant to drier and sunnier conditions.
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2021, 02:11:55 PM »
Gentiana paradoxa from Caucasus.
Belgium

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2021, 02:14:25 PM »
Gentiana x macaulayi ‘Kingfisher’ loves the wet weather from the last few weeks and is spreading around. Now waiting till the flowers come.
Belgium

ruweiss

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2021, 07:46:58 PM »
Herman, your Kingfisher looks very promising, this plant must explode in some time.
The true Gentiana paradoxa became rather rare in cultivation, most of the plants in
the nursery trade are hybrids.
Thank you for showing.
The Gentiana in the picture is the plant with the biggest flowers in my collection.
It is a seedling of unknown parentage from Vladimir Kalous from Czech Republic.

Gabriela

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2021, 09:50:22 PM »
Wonderful Gentiana Herman and Rudi.

The Kingfisher size is surreal! and I like that stone ball :)

Rudi: your Gentiana could be G. clusii, with a bit of late flowering than usual.

My Gentiana paradoxa (which always starts flowering when G. septemfida ends).

The first pictures: a mix of G. paradoxa and hybrids, grown from G. paradoxa seeds of garden origin. If given the chance there is always cross pollination. I planted the whole seedlings pot in one place and it would hard to separate them now.

Then, Gentiana paradoxa grown from wild coll. seeds (the first flowering).

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2021, 09:36:33 AM »
Herman, your Kingfisher looks very promising, this plant must explode in some time.
The true Gentiana paradoxa became rather rare in cultivation, most of the plants in
the nursery trade are hybrids.
Thank you for showing.
The Gentiana in the picture is the plant with the biggest flowers in my collection.
It is a seedling of unknown parentage from Vladimir Kalous from Czech Republic.
Rudi, to me it looks more angustifolia. The leaves seems to be narrow, but they can change if the plants are still young. To much green in the corolla and wrong calyx teeth to be clusii. Clusii don't make runners. If the seeds came from a garden with different gentians it can be a hybrid.
Belgium

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2021, 09:59:23 AM »
Wonderful Gentiana Herman and Rudi.

The Kingfisher size is surreal! and I like that stone ball :)

Rudi: your Gentiana could be G. clusii, with a bit of late flowering than usual.

My Gentiana paradoxa (which always starts flowering when G. septemfida ends).

The first pictures: a mix of G. paradoxa and hybrids, grown from G. paradoxa seeds of garden origin. If given the chance there is always cross pollination. I planted the whole seedlings pot in one place and it would hard to separate them now.

Then, Gentiana paradoxa grown from wild coll. seeds (the first flowering).

Gabriela, the leaves from your Gentiana paradoxa from wild seeds are indeed much narrower than those of the hybrid forms. But the hybrids are also beautiful.
Kingfisher likes humid weather!
Belgium

ruweiss

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2021, 08:51:29 PM »
Gabriela and Herman, thank you for your always interesting photos and comments.
The big flowered Gentiana always reminds me of the interesting meetings with Czech
and other European rockgardeners in the autumn in Eastern Czech Republic.
Vladimir Kalous always had an interesting amount of rare dwarf conifers in his car
plus a lot of flowering gentians in all shades from white to dark blue but without
any labels and I still regret,that i didn't buy more of them.

Gabriela

« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2021, 01:41:46 AM »
Gabriela, the leaves from your Gentiana paradoxa from wild seeds are indeed much narrower than those of the hybrid forms. But the hybrids are also beautiful.
Kingfisher likes humid weather!

All the pictures I've seen with G. paradoxa in wild habitat show the same very narrow leaves Herman.
At the moment I am happy with any Gentiana which does well in our climate; the hot & humid of our summers it's not tolerated by many species.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Gabriela

« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2021, 01:44:25 AM »
Gabriela and Herman, thank you for your always interesting photos and comments.
The big flowered Gentiana always reminds me of the interesting meetings with Czech
and other European rockgardeners in the autumn in Eastern Czech Republic.
Vladimir Kalous always had an interesting amount of rare dwarf conifers in his car
plus a lot of flowering gentians in all shades from white to dark blue but without
any labels and I still regret,that i didn't buy more of them.

Rare dwarf conifers and gentians of all colors sounds like a wonderful combination Rudi! I can easily imagine the look of his car :)
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

ruweiss

« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2021, 09:16:02 PM »
Simply irresistible, this meeting was always a highlight of our gardening year. Meeting old and new gardening friends,
excellent lectures, good local food and drinks and a very good offer of plants were worth the 550 Kilometers drive.
Nobody thought, that a virus could stop this all.

Ophrys

« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2021, 09:10:12 AM »
Thank you, Herman! Very interesting videos!

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2021, 12:46:10 PM »
Gentiana x macaulayi ‘Kingfisher’ is enjoying the sun

Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal