We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Which Polygonatum?  (Read 2505 times)

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
Which Polygonatum?
« on: June 08, 2008, 09:33:06 PM »
Can anyone help me with an ID for this??
Stephen
Malvik, Norway
Eating my way through the world's 15,000+ edible species

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Which Polygonatum?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 10:37:56 PM »
No, but very nice. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Katherine J

• Lurking and learning
    • Flowers from the Alps
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 08:27:49 AM »
P. verticillatum maybe?
Kata Jozsa - Budapest, Hungary
Zone 6

http://gardenonbalcony.blogspot.com

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 09:01:18 AM »
Yes I think Kathrine is right with P. verticillatum, if not it is closely related.  At the moment mine is about 50-60 cms tall.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

arisaema

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 10:49:20 AM »
Could you post a picture again when 4-5 flowers have opened up?

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 10:20:31 PM »
Yes, I'll try and take some more pictures in a few days - once the good weather returns. Actually, verticillatum grows wild here (have both odoratum, verticillatum as well as Lily of the Valley and Hepatica nobilis all growing wild in the wild part of the garden). I've just compared the two and the wild verticillatum is very different to the mystery plant. Broader leaves on the wild verticillatum. The flower colour didn't come very true in the mystery plant, much lighter than in reality. They are quite dark in colour, reddish-violet perhaps.

Could it be Polygonatum sibiricum? I know that I sowed seed of that a few years ago, but thought I had lost it...
Stephen
Malvik, Norway

arisaema

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 10:39:35 PM »
You should read the note under P. verticillatum in Flora of China, what the Chinese call P. verticillatum is very different from our own native:

Rudolf Kamelin (pers. comm.) believes that Polygonatum verticillatum is absent from China, and that the plants there are instead P. kansuense ( P. erythrocarpum). In SW Asia and Europe, P. verticillatum has leaves in whorls of 5--7, inflorescences mostly 3- or 4-flowered, perianth white, and berries dark blue-green (although one of us (Tamura) has collected P. verticillatum with orange berries in S Denmark: Tamura & Kubitzki 3425 (KYO)). Tamura considers that P. verticillatum of the present sense may be a species in which different lineages are lumped. However, Chen and Tamura together decided to maintain the present circumscription until sufficient morphological variation data have accumulated. Kamelin also notes that Polygonatum minutiflorum, regarded here as a synonym of P. verticillatum may instead be synonymous with P. gracile in which case the former name, published in 1915, would have priority.

Afloden

• why not ask him..... he'll know !
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 06:30:41 AM »
Hello,

When the flowers open could you take some measurements and more pictures? They seem small, but I cannot tell from the picture. Ideally, a flower cut in half and photographed would give important details of ovary, style, and filament characters. The non-strait apex of the whorled leaves at least narrows it down, but floral details are needed to narrow it further.

Also, are any bracts present on the peduncles, and how many flowers are there per peduncle? 1-2 it looks like. 

Do you recall what the rhizome was like?

Aaron Floden
 Knoxville, TN
Missouri, at the northeast edge of the Ozark Plateau

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 10:48:22 PM »
Thanks, Arisaema

Aaron: I have taken a few more pictures. One comparing the mystery plant with my wild verticillatum (had finished flowering), a close-up of the flowers (sorry, forgot to take a dissected shot, but my macro function's not that good - let me know what I should look for if the other shots don't  confirm the ID for you). Finally, a picture of the rhizome.

The flowers are about 10-11mm long. 2 flowers per peduncle.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 10:50:24 PM by Stephenb »
Stephen
Malvik, Norway

Afloden

• why not ask him..... he'll know !
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 03:43:40 AM »
Hello Stephen,

Not sure how I missed your reply to this post almost a month ago now! I normally check every other day. Very sorry.

Going through either Jeffrey's key or the Flora of China (FOC) key takes me to two possibilities because of the cirrhose leaf apices; P.sibiricum or P.cirrhifolium. I would go with the latter because I do not see any bracts on the peduncle/pedicel. Read the qualifying remarks under this species in FOC. There are many species that are lumped into this one with 8 synonyms under this species. I would expect with that many species at one time described the species currently encompasses a lot of variation.

Aaron Floden
Missouri, at the northeast edge of the Ozark Plateau

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 11:54:44 AM »
No problem. Thanks for your help Aaron. I'll have to check more closely for bracts next year! However, I'm convinced that this is the P. sibiricum that I planted a few years ago (see above) - whether it was misidentified as sibiricum is another matter.
Stephen
Malvik, Norway

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal