We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Dimorphanthera germination  (Read 668 times)

E Meaney

Dimorphanthera germination
« on: January 23, 2022, 03:08:48 PM »
I’ve received Dimorphanthera alpine seeds from the seed exchange for the last 2 years . I haven’t had any germination . I haven’t stratified them as I thought they were from a warmer climate like vireya rhododendrons .  As they’re pretty small I’m assuming they need light .
Has anyone had any success with these ?

MarcR

Re: Dimorphanthera germination
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2022, 02:27:38 PM »
E Meaney,

Dimorphanthera, like most members of Epacridaceae, needs about 2 years of alternating 90 day cycles of 20C and 4C [starting with a warm cycle] and must NEVER dry out.  You would do well to sow in a mix of  finely ground sphagnum peat and vermiculite, in several layers of ziplock bags, so it can be transfered between 20C and 4C without drying out..
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

E Meaney

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2022, 09:37:47 AM »
Very interesting and not easy to do . However that probably means my seeds are still alive . I suppose the last batch will have had around 90 days in the warm and the other one is on a high shelf in my greenhouse so I better stick them in the fridge .
Worth a try .
Thanks for the information.

MarcR

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2022, 11:12:01 AM »
I'm glad I could help.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal