General Subjects > Flowers and Foliage Now

Daphne 2022

(1/3) > >>

Herman Mylemans:
Daphne mezereum 'Album'

David2carver:
Daphne genkwa, buds are swelling. Well ahead of last year where it was only just showing colour at the beginning of March

David2carver:
First couple of seed pots germinating, always an exciting part of the year.
This was my first time collecting seed off Daphne altaica and I have two good pot full of seedlings from Daphne laureola Philippi

Gabriela:
Early spring flowering Daphnes are so desirable!

Herman: I can imagine the fragrance from your rather large white D. mezereum! My 3 years old pink one was devoured by a rabbit one year (weird I know) and so I had to start from the seeds again.
Almost no one produces it to sell, maybe except some small specialized nurseries, which are all slowly disappearing.

Gabriela:

--- Quote from: David2carver on February 24, 2022, 05:22:23 PM ---First couple of seed pots germinating, always an exciting part of the year.
This was my first time collecting seed off Daphne altaica and I have two good pot full of seedlings from Daphne laureola Philippi

--- End quote ---

Congrats on your seedlings David. Always an exciting time of the year!

I am amazed to see you growing D, laureola from seeds. Even here, in the mildest region of Canada, Vancouver area that is, this species behaves and has been classified a noxious weed.
I had the unfortunate occasion to witness it myself taking over large, wild areas of Vancouver Island. One of those situations when all seeds that fall to the ground will germinate. And there were lots of them!
Not only that, some suggests it can also alters soil chemistry and so preventing the germination/establishment of native species.
So, take care when planting it in the garden and/or share with friends.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version