We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Phytosanitary Certificates for Seeds from EU: January or July?  (Read 572 times)

Paul Cumbleton

• Pleione Wizard
    • The Pleione Website
Phytosanitary Certificates for Seeds from EU: January or July?
« on: January 05, 2022, 05:16:50 PM »
My reading of the post-Brexit regulations is that a Phytosanitary Certificate for most of the kinds of seeds we grow won't be required until 1st July 2022. This is based on the information on this government web page: https://planthealthportal.defra.gov.uk/eu-exit-guidance/imports/list-of-goods-that-will-be-regulated-from-1-january-2022/. Items are classified in one of 3 groups, "High priority", "Regulated and Notifiable" and "Regulated". If I have understood this page correctly, all seeds except those specifically listed there fall under "Regulated" and about these it says: "From 1 July 2022: All plants, plant products and other objects categorised as either ‘regulated and notifiable’ or ‘regulated’ must be accompanied by a Phytosanitary Certificate".

Do others agree with my interepretation?

I ask because based on this I ordered seeds from Vlastimil Pilous. However he tells me he spoke to UK plant health on the phone and was told that all seed needs a Phyto from 1st January, so he is unable to fulfill my order. I believe that what he was told is wrong, which does not surprise me - in my experience, Plant Health staff often seem not to understand their own rules and if in doubt choose to err on the safe side by telling you you need certain paperwork when in fact you don't.

Or have I just misunderstood these new rules too?

Another Government webpage seems to make it pretty clear to me that July 1st is the right date. I quote:

Regulated plants and plant products

From 1 July 2022, these other regulated goods must go through some plant health controls:

all fresh produce
    all seeds
    all cut flowers

You can find a full list of all regulated goods on the Plant Health Portal.

From 1 July 2022, if you import regulated plants and plant products from this list you’ll need to get a phytosanitary certificate from your EU exporter.

Paul
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 06:11:48 PM by Paul Cumbleton »
Paul Cumbleton, Somerton, Somerset, U.K. Zone 8b (U.S. system plant hardiness zone)

I occasionally sell spare plants on ebay -
see http://ebay.eu/1n3uCgm

http://www.pleione.info/

David2carver

Re: Phytosanitary Certificates for Seeds from EU: January or July?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 08:00:06 PM »
My reading of the post-Brexit regulations is that a Phytosanitary Certificate for most of the kinds of seeds we grow won't be required until 1st July 2022. This is based on the information on this government web page: https://planthealthportal.defra.gov.uk/eu-exit-guidance/imports/list-of-goods-that-will-be-regulated-from-1-january-2022/. Items are classified in one of 3 groups, "High priority", "Regulated and Notifiable" and "Regulated". If I have understood this page correctly, all seeds except those specifically listed there fall under "Regulated" and about these it says: "From 1 July 2022: All plants, plant products and other objects categorised as either ‘regulated and notifiable’ or ‘regulated’ must be accompanied by a Phytosanitary Certificate".

Do others agree with my interepretation?

I ask because based on this I ordered seeds from Vlastimil Pilous. However he tells me he spoke to UK plant health on the phone and was told that all seed needs a Phyto from 1st January, so he is unable to fulfill my order. I believe that what he was told is wrong, which does not surprise me - in my experience, Plant Health staff often seem not to understand their own rules and if in doubt choose to err on the safe side by telling you you need certain paperwork when in fact you don't.

Or have I just misunderstood these new rules too?

Another Government webpage seems to make it pretty clear to me that July 1st is the right date. I quote:

Regulated plants and plant products

From 1 July 2022, these other regulated goods must go through some plant health controls:

all fresh produce
    all seeds
    all cut flowers

You can find a full list of all regulated goods on the Plant Health Portal.

From 1 July 2022, if you import regulated plants and plant products from this list you’ll need to get a phytosanitary certificate from your EU exporter.

Paul
From what I've read, I agree that seeds so far do not need phyto certificate until July, the following European seed business explains it well on their site.
http://www.rareplants.es/shop/page.asp?id=UK
Im still trying to work out which plants/ seeds are regulated and need to be notified to the border agencies. And others that can pass on just holding a phyto certificate.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 09:45:01 PM by David2carver »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal