Specific Families and Genera > Pleione and Orchidaceae

House Orchids 2022

(1/7) > >>

GordonT:
Happy New Year, everyone! We wish you a bountiful year ahead, full of botanical delights.

This recently acquired seedling of Cycnoches warscewiczii (isn't that a mouthful? "Sick-no-keys var-se-veitch-ee-eye") started off our year, with a sole male flower, filling the sun room with a scent like Pineapple, Vanilla and Guava). It isn't hard to see why members of this genus are known as the "Swan Orchids"

With any luck, 2022 will see this plant grow large with food, and produce a chain of blooms in autumn (don't know if we'll be able to handle the fragrance of multiple blooms!). Until then, we are happy to enjoy its first effort.

Nik:
That is so elegant looking, Gordon!

Here is my intermediate orange Cymbidium today. It is underperforming this winter. Only 3 spikes with 14 buds total. A bit disappointing.. it produced several spikes during the summer outside and those always fail to develop properly. I imagine most energy went into those.
I have very hard time capturing the velvety nature of the lip with my phone.

GordonT:
Nik, I like the colour of your Cymbidium. Sadly, Cymbidiums are not commonly available here anymore. There was a time when you could count on seeing a plant or two for sale at certain supermarkets, or big box hardware stores, but those days are long gone.

You might want to try adding some epsom salts into your watering for the plants. Apparently Cymbidiums and Phalaenopsis can benefit from the added magnesium, resulting in higher bud counts on flower spikes.

Nik:

--- Quote from: GordonT on January 06, 2022, 12:47:30 PM ---
You might want to try adding some epsom salts into your watering for the plants. Apparently Cymbidiums and Phalaenopsis can benefit from the added magnesium, resulting in higher bud counts on flower spikes.

--- End quote ---
Gordon, I think you must be right. This year I did not use any magnesium sulfate (in contrast to previous years). Interestingly, only my intermediate Cymbidiums appear to be affected by it. My standard ones are doing great… for whatever reason. Here is an example with one of the spikes of my standard yellow hybrid. It is almost 1 m long and has 18 buds which are about to start opening. I will also post a picture when they fully open.

cristoff:
Wow, great blooms everyone. Great start to the year.

I have here a first time blooming of Phragmipedium Acker's Lovely. You can see the heavy influence of schlimii in this cross.
A good candidate for anyone looking to try growing Phrags as the plants are quite small and don't take up a lot of room.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version