Cultivation > Cultivation Problems

The yellow peril

(1/3) > >>

Palustris:
Just read Shelagh'S article about Oxalis cornuta, aka Bermudan Buttercup. It was probably the second most common herbaceous plant in this garden when we moved in (after Bindweed). Whilst it is still here we do seem to have reduced it in quantity to a nuisance rather than a plague.
So how?
First of all we did use Roundup which worked for us. Try adding a little washing up liquid to the weed killer spray to make it stick to the leaves. Now we have planted up the garden that is no longer an option . Secondly and still being done I use a Flame Gun on it where it appears in the paths, gravel etc. Obviously one has to be careful not to damage any plants nearby. Thirdly we dig out every one we see with a clump of soil rather than trying to just remove the roots.
It really does need careful watching. It is best practice to get it out before it flowers. We have found that it goes from flower to seed almost overnight and each seed pod contains a lot of dust like seed. The roots have tiny 'bulbils' on them so any left behind will regrow. We have reduced it by about 95% by what we have done.
The saddest thing of all is that it appears to be included in peat free composts as we have found it growing in pot plants which have never been anywhere near the stuff in the garden.
Finally NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER put the bits in the compost heap. We put it in the bin (not the green waste bin either).
Sorry to say but the advice is eternal vigilance!
Best of luck with it.

Tristan_He:
Thanks Palustris. These kind of posts are some of the most useful on the forum. It's incredibly valuable to be able to tap into the experience and wisdom of others.

Tristan

MarcR:

--- Quote from: Tristan_He on July 24, 2021, 07:02:16 PM ---Thanks Palustris. These kind of posts are some of the most useful on the forum. It's incredibly valuable to be able to tap into the experience and wisdom of others.

Tristan

--- End quote ---

Tristan,

That is so very true.  Yet surprisingly few will take heed. [Perhaps serious gardeners are an exception :)]

partisangardener:
Which Oxalis is meant Oxalis pes caprae or Oxalis corniculata?
I could not find Oxalis cornuta.

Vinny 123:
One of the simpler ways of using glyphosate on small weeds, especially creeping ones, is to use a very small sponge or wad of cotton wool, place one hand under the weed and wipe using the other. WEAR RUBBER GLOVES.

Some persistant deep-rooted weeds are actually very easy to get rid, if labour-intensive for a while.

When I moved here, the place was a sea of thistles. I dug the ground over, removed everything as far as possible and then waited. Once the shoots were 1-2 inches out of the ground, big enough to grip, I pulled them up - after no more than 3 re-shooting attempts, they disappeared.
I used to get in from work, make a mug of tea and spend 10-15 minutes plucking thistles each evening - it didn't take very long.

It ought to work with bindweed, docks and a few others. I think that I'd use a knife for docks, severing them a few inches underground.

Not appropriate for an acre that is infested, but not a vast chore on even large beds.

Anyone concquered mare's tails/catweed/horsetails/whatever you want to call them - Equisetum?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version