We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Lilium 2021  (Read 7378 times)

ArnoldT

Re: Lilium 2021
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2021, 06:58:13 PM »
Two observations:

The lily beetle is here in Northern New Jersey
They are not very good swimmers.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2021, 03:40:52 AM »
good work,  Arnold!
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Tristan_He

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2021, 07:56:26 AM »
Such a nuisance. I decapitate them.

ruweiss

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2021, 08:15:40 PM »
You must always have a watchful eye for these pests.
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Tristan_He

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2021, 11:56:17 PM »
You know, I think we probably underappreciate Lilium regale because it's so easy to get hold of. Looks fabulous in that woodland edge setting with the ferns and conifers Rudi.

wooden shoe

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2021, 08:00:56 AM »
Nice lilies. The regale has such a wonderful scent.
Since I have several "bee hotels" in the garden, I found out that small wasps of the genus Ancistrocerus predate on the larvea of the lily beetle. Not much other animals like the filthy creatures, but they do. They keep the pest down, although it is till needed to manually inspect the lilies. But free help is welcome.
Rob - central Nederland Zone 7b

ArnoldT

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2021, 04:58:40 PM »
This an ongoing research project in New Hampshire.  https://web.uri.edu/biocontrol/lily-leaf-beetle/

The following information is reprinted from: Lily Leaf Beetle Biological Control Update, March 31, 2006. Northeastern IPM News, Dept. of Plant Sciences, University of Rhode Island

The University of Rhode Island Biological Control Laboratory, in collaboration with CABI-Bioscience and colleagues in France, identified a complex of four larval parasitoids, which causes a high level of parasitism throughout Europe. On the basis of parasitoid surveys in Europe and laboratory experiments conducted in the USA and Europe, it was determined that T. setifer, L. errabundus, and D. jucunda were safe and likely candidates to control L. lilii.

Tetrastichus setifer is likely the best candidate for controlling the LLB in the Northeast. It is widespread throughout Europe and it has been relatively easy to establish in RI, MA, NH, and ME. Lily leaf beetle populations have declined substantially at the two oldest release sites. They last released T. setifer in Wellesley, MA in 2001 where it has heavily parasitized LLB larvae ever since (100% parasitism at peak larval density in 2005). We found similar results in Cumberland, RI where we last released T. setifer in 2002, with 100% parasitism at peak larval density in 2005. From the parasitoids released in surrounding states, they found T. setifer establised in Bridgton, ME in 2004. Tetrastichus setifer has also spread several miles from release sites.

Lemophagus errabundus was found in a lily garden 3/4 mile from their Plainville, MA release site in 2005, indicating that it is not only established from releases in 2003 and 2004, but it has spread a considerable distance. They also released this species in the Kingston, RI plot where they found good parasitism in the weeks following release. Diaparsis jucunda has proven to be more difficult to establish against the LLB. It is found at higher elevations in Europe, and appears well-suited for northern New England, but they have not yet recovered overwintered parasitoids at any of their 2004 and 2005 release sites in RI, MA, NH, or ME. In 2005 they also released LLB larvae parasitized by D. jucunda into their lily plots to determine if this is a better way to establish this species.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

ruweiss

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2021, 08:58:12 PM »
Tristan, Rob and Arnold, many thanks for your friendly and interesting comments.
It is the first time, that I read about parasitic wasps who can reduce the amount
of lily beetles. The bee hotels in our gardens are always good visited.by wild bees,
wasps are rather rare guests. Another good effects is the good amount
of seeds which is set by the good job, that these  insects do.
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2021, 04:08:45 PM »
.It is the first time, that I read about parasitic wasps who can reduce the amount
of lily beetles.

This was also a first time for me. Thank you for bringing this up here.
I don't think those wasps mentioned in the research project live in Finland, but maybe we have some others which would also be parasitic in lily beetles.
This summer there has been a lot of lily beetles, and I try to kill all I see, but some manage to escape.

Martagon lilies have finished flowering but Lilium canadense flowers now, both yellow and red form. Also Lilium pardalinum flowers right now.
Leena from south of Finland

Tristan_He

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2021, 11:01:23 AM »
Beautiful Leena! Here is my Lilium canadense, from seed. This is something of a personal triumph as I have never flowered it before - usually I get it to flowering size, plant it out and then the slugs eat it in spring. This one I planted in a wet spot in the garden which seems to suit it.

692491-1

Now L. grayi, a close relative. Unfortunately something had a nibble at the bud.

Lilium hansonii. This flowers well for me but the foliage is always a rather sickly yellowish green, does anyone have any advice?

Leena

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2021, 03:44:46 PM »
Hmm, my red L.canadense is also red inside (I think). Should it be orange? Whatever it is, it is a very nice plant, but unfortunately I haven't gotten seeds from it these three years it has flowered. It was bought as a seedling, and I don't know it's origin better.
Is L.grayi a smaller plant than L.canadense?

Tristan_He

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2021, 05:35:04 PM »
Both of your L. canadense are stunning Leena!

I don't know enough about these lilies to say definitively whether this is canadense or a hybrid with something else. I know canadense comes in yellow, orange and red forms and it has a large range, so it's probable that the leaves and flowers are variable. Maybe Arnold or Gabriela will know?

L. grayi should be smaller yes, with broader leaves and more bell-shaped flowers. I just checked and mine have a yellow interior, similar to the candense. Both species were grown from the SRGC seedex seed.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2021, 09:16:18 PM »
Lovely canadense Leena. 
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Leena

« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2021, 08:34:33 PM »
Thank you Tristan and Ashley.
I checked and my red L.canadense is red also inside the flower.

Yesterday opened L.distichum, sown several years ago. It has typical leaf whorl, and in fact earlier in spring I didn't remember what I had planted there and wondered about the leaves which look like Paris leaves at that time, before the flower stem started to grow. It isn't a very showy plant but a bright orange spot in a lot of green is nice:).

Leena

« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2021, 08:50:02 PM »
One more picture of my L.canadense before they go over. They are magnificent!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal