We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pulsatilla 2021  (Read 6991 times)

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
Re: Pulsatilla 2021
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2021, 08:07:47 AM »
I leave the 'tails' on - find they make the seed nice and easy to handle and have not noticed any problems with rotting etc. Mother Nature leaves them on...
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2021, 02:38:17 AM »

Tristan_He

« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2021, 07:26:48 AM »
I leave the 'tails' on - find they make the seed nice and easy to handle and have not noticed any problems with rotting etc. Mother Nature leaves them on...

I must say I haven't noticed any differences either. If I have a lot of seed sometimes I do take the tails off though - obviously in nature you won't usually get 50 seedlings germinating close together in a plastic pot, and I do worry that any disease that does occur could spread. Pulsatilla seedlings are quite robust though so maybe I'm being neurotic!

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2021, 02:48:09 AM »
I don't think it matters in the end, either.   i break mine off, just because I think the seeds are easier to handle.  The natural break point isn't close to the seed itself, so you don't have to worry about possibly damaging the seed itself.
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal