We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Weed seedling id  (Read 471 times)

Palustris

Weed seedling id
« on: April 06, 2021, 12:45:02 PM »
I know this is a general type question rather than an alpine related one, but this weed is bothering us as there are a lot of them coming up in one place. Sadly neither of us can remember what weeds were growing in this section when we moved in. anyone put a name to this? desperate please!

At the moment the leaves are about 3 cms long. the stem is slightly hairy and has a pinkish tinge.

Wim Snoeijer

Re: Weed seedling id
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 01:10:50 PM »
Dear Palustris,

I think the seedlings are Alliaria petiolata, a native plant. However, the first leaves are not quite lobed yet but the colyledons are, for me, like Alliaria and also your clues "pinkish tinge" and "coming up in one place" is typical for Alliaria.
If the identity is correct, do not wipe them out all as the plants are host for the beautiful butterfly Anthocharis cardamines.

Wim

Palustris

Re: Weed seedling id
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 02:32:09 PM »
Just found a picture of a seedling of this and it really does match and it is fairly common in the hedges around here. It could well have been present in the garden when we moved in. Thank-you very much. Should have recognised it myself as we had it in our previous garden. Bit of a seed thug too if I remember correctly.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal