We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Dividing Iris Lazica  (Read 943 times)

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
Dividing Iris Lazica
« on: March 31, 2021, 03:50:09 PM »
Could somebody please me when the best time to divide Iris lazica?
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Dividing Iris Lazica
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 03:59:33 PM »
Hi Davey! Nice problem to have - I think it's best  to wait  until at  least  June  to do that- not that I have  experience- but  luckily I know folks who do grow  it well!  Has it flowered well for you in other years?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Carolyn

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 06:39:48 PM »
I don’t know for sure, but I am going to split one of mine after it has finished flowering. In the past I have just sliced a wedge of it off with a lawn edging tool, and this bit rooted well. I think I did that after flowering. My main clump is now too big and the rhizomes have risen up in a mound because they are too congested. This patch is in full sun, which is not the best lace for lazica - my other piece is in a damp spot in dappled shade and looks much better there. If only the slugs were not so fond of the flowers.....
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 11:42:22 AM »
Maggi its flowered lovely,sporadically,would love it if it was a single massive show but eh ho its still lovely.Thank you Carolyn for that info.
What i'm unsure on when the roots are produced on the new growths.Its a big plant so i'll take a piece of after the new growths are fully formed.Trail and error.  ;D
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal