We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Growing Dryas octopetala  (Read 1431 times)

Tristan_He

Growing Dryas octopetala
« on: March 09, 2021, 01:20:29 PM »
Does anybody have any advice on growing this? I have never had much success - it always seems to go slowly backwards. Can it be grown any more in Wales, or does it just need colder winters and cooler summers?

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
Re: Growing Dryas octopetala
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 01:35:56 PM »
Hi Tristan, I don't have experience growing this but it remains abundant down to almost sea-level in the mild oceanic climate of the Burren, Co. Clare.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 07:29:59 PM »
Hello Tristan,

I did grow it with success for several years in my garden at the west coast of Norway. It had to go though when the road was dug up some years ago.
It also grows naturally down to the sea level at the warm south east coast (a relict from glacial times). There it grows on limestone.
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

brianw

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 07:43:23 PM »
I have what I bought as D. x drummondii ~6 years back. It is now ~3 square yards or so but not so floriferous as it was when first planted. It is on sticky chalk and rubble the builders left behind. Never quite sure what pH this genus requires. Rarely layers itself here. Not managed to propagate its so far. The seed never seems self fertile.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Tristan_He

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 10:23:49 PM »
Thanks all, looks like it's worth having another go then. Such a classic alpine flower, and seems worth persevering with. Maybe I'll try growing from seed as well.

kris

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 10:37:44 PM »
I have this plant in my rockgarden. Grows very well and few flowers. Need hot sun and lean soil with very good drainage. I have it for about 10 years.
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal