We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primula 2021  (Read 5638 times)

Tristan_He

Re: Primula 2021
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2021, 08:11:52 AM »
Hi Arturo, I grow this one outdoors. It doesn't need to be in a pot, but like many Himalayans it needs a lot of moisture in the growing season which is easier to provide in a pot. I would put it in the 'wet meadow' category of Primulas but I have grown it in normal garden conditions. It doesn't seem fussy about pH.

This year I have given it a splash of fertilizer which it seems to have appreciated, and the wet cold spring also makes good Primula conditions.

On the whole this seems to be one of the easier Himalayan species, though it does have a tendency to be short-lived so collect seed. It doesn't seem to mind winter wet but it won't like summer heat and drought I expect.

I think this could be harder for you to grow than for me, but definitely worth a try. Seed is often available in the exchanges and I'll be donating some of my crop.

Regards, Tristan

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2021, 09:22:17 AM »
Primula auriculata from Gabriela's seed. :)
In the second picture Primula 'Vera Maud' with an unknown fungi.
Leena from south of Finland

hamparstum

• knowledge unexercised is wasted learning
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2021, 12:10:56 PM »
Thank you Tristan, from what you describe I shouldn't it find difficult to grow it here. Perhaps my most demanding moment would be during the drier part of summer. It will need a wet meadow condition, which I've learnt how to create but also some regular top moisture with some overhead mist garden sprinkler that I have and can easily provide. Like an early morning dew. I tried to figure out how to get seeds but still the seedex seems a bit fuzzy for those of us far away. Barnhaven in France has both the white and the purple var.yargonesis in stock so, that's my easiest option. Arturo
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 12:16:37 PM by hamparstum »
Arturo Tarak

Margaret Thorne

• Mountain Explorer
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2021, 09:00:24 PM »
Can anyone help identify this primula. It was given by a friend who simply didn’t like it. I do. Last autumn it had rather big leaves. Now - small balls of smallish flowers. Thank you

(Attachment Link)
I think it's Primula atrodentata. Best to check on Primula World for the better match.
Broughton Heights, Scottish Borders

Claire Cockcroft

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2021, 01:13:36 AM »
Primula japonica 'Postford's White'

690840-0

A hybrid of Primula cockburniana with (maybe?) P. chungensis.  It is sterile.

690842-1
Claire Cockcroft
Bellevue, Washington, USA  Zone 7-8

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal