We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Androsace helvetica care  (Read 1358 times)

michael z

Androsace helvetica care
« on: August 24, 2020, 07:11:20 PM »
Hello,

I will get some young Androsace helvetica. I know its a quite difficult plant to grow. Do you have any tips how to grow it?

Regards,

Michael

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Androsace helvetica care
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 09:49:28 PM »
You're  right, it's not the easiest - but  it  is  worth taking  some  trouble  with.  Best  in an alpine  house  for  most  - in a  really fast  draining, slightly alkaline  mix, with good light, but  not  allowing the  foliage  to be  scorched.
Once the  plant  gets  bigger, try  to get  plenty grit around  its  neck to keep the  foliage  dry.  It  may be  easier  to grow double  potted in terracotta pots,  with the  pot the plant  is  in sunk inside  a  slightly larger  pot of  sand, meaning that watering can be done  by watering into the  sandy  edge  of the  second  pot  without  soaking the upper growing parts of the plant.  It  will need  quite  a  lot  of  water in the  growing  season.
Good luck!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

michael z

Re: Androsace helvetica care
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 08:28:43 AM »
Thank you Maggi,

I will try.

Michael

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal