We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2021  (Read 8251 times)

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
Re: Cyclamen 2021
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2021, 10:54:54 AM »
Cyclamen are so nice in the autumn, they grow very well for you Herman. I have tried once C.hederifolium and it died the second winter. Now I bought one plant and try once more, but I'm not very confident about it's hardiness.
C.purpurascens is so good here and flowers for a long time, though now it is over.
Leena, here it has already happened that the leaves of hederifolium were frozen and died. The frost here is not very hard the last years (not lower than -10°C and only for a few days). I have each year a lot of seeds. So if you want to sow them let me know.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 05:08:24 PM by Herman Mylemans »
Belgium

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2021, 04:36:20 PM »
C. cilicium is starting, both in the greenhouse & garden.

695111-1
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Claire Cockcroft

« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2021, 12:46:46 AM »
Cyclamen purpurascens with a variety of leaf forms.

Claire Cockcroft
Bellevue, Washington, USA  Zone 7-8

Roma

« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2021, 09:40:18 PM »
Cyclamen mirabile, Cyclamen rohlfsianum, Cyclamen maritimum.

Cyclamen mirabile

Cyclamen mirabile 'Tilebarn Nicholas'

695157-1

Cyclamen rohlfsianum

695159-2

Cyclamen maritimum

695161-3
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2021, 04:22:50 PM »
Cyclamen cilicium is spreading around.
Belgium

elena

« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2021, 09:42:46 PM »
These are my Cyclamens on the windowsill: C.cilicium, C.intaminatum and C.mirabile. C.cilicium and C.mirabile I've grown from seeds.

C.cilicium
695357-0

C.cilicium
695359-1

C.intaminatum
695361-2

C.mirabile
695363-3

C.mirabile
695365-4

« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 06:50:10 PM by elena »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2021, 09:59:31 PM »
These are my Cyclamens on the windowsill. C.cilicium and C.mirabile I've grown from seeds.

Isn't it fascinating how many flower buds they can produce?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2021, 09:09:22 PM »
Indeed what a joy a single bulb can give!

Here i can't compete, the mirabile seedlings are 2 years old but already blooming
North of France

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2021, 02:10:20 PM »
Hope everyone competing at or simply attending the  Late Autumn Show of the Cyclamen Society at Birmingham Botanical Gardens, Edgbaston, on 10 October  2021 has a great time!

https://www.cyclamen.org/shows/
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Bart

« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2021, 07:47:02 PM »
These are my Cyclamens on the windowsill: C.cilicium, C.intaminatum and C.mirabile. C.cilicium and C.mirabile I've grown from seeds

Nice how the flower stalk are elongated,but not floppy,  and so many on all of them. Well done.

My C. mirabile 's are doing well this year in the greenhouse, but they appear reluctant to set seed, just like C. cilicium. There is plenty of ventilation, bumblebees etc, but many flowers fail to set.
Is there a trick to make them 'set' better? I've tried putting some pots out in nice weather and wind and hand pollinating but still a high fail rate.

695935-0

Cyclamen mirabile

Cyclamen mirabile, Cyclamen rohlfsianum, Cyclamen maritimum.

(Attachment Link)

Cyclamen rohlfsianum

So many flowers! How old is your plant, Roma? I have a few plants that must be about 10 years old now, and the number of flowers is steadily increasing.

695937-1

Cyclamen rohlfsianum

I have been cleaning seeds for the cyclamen society exchange, and now for 'our' exchange and find it extremely time consuming to get to a reasonable standard of cleanliness. Has anyone got a top tip to quickly separate seed from little stones, seedpod leftover, and other dust? I simply run out of time for the deadline!
Speaking of which, the Cyclamen society's deadline is so early that I struggle to get seed ready for that. This year I just about managed but have heard absolutely nothing- Does anyone know if you normally get an email or something? I just wonder if the letter got lost in the post.

Hope everyone competing at or simply attending the  Late Autumn Show of the Cyclamen Society at Birmingham Botanical Gardens, Edgbaston, on 10 October  2021 has a great time!

https://www.cyclamen.org/shows/

I quickly looked on the facebook post of the cyclamen society and it said: 2 people attented this show  :)

Is interest in the forum and sites like facebook waning?

Anyway, to  finish  off:

695939-2

C.hederifolium

695941-3

C. libanoticum

695943-4

C. graecum

Carolyn

« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2021, 09:33:09 PM »
Bart,
In answer to your question about seed cleaning - I bought a set of 6 gold-panning sieves on eBay. I think they came from USA and cost about £30 or £40, but this cost saves you hours of work. For chaff which is the same size as the seeds (and therefore can end up in the same sieve) I use several techniques. A clean plastic yogurt pot or margarine tub is useful. Wipe the inside with a cloth, and place seed/chaff in tub. The static charge will often make the light weight chaff stick to the sides of the tub and the seeds can be separated from it. Another technique is to use a large sheet of paper and blow gently. The chaff should blow away, leaving the seeds. I am not very good at this one! Also, shaking the seeds/chaff on a folded piece of paper will sometimes make the chaff gather at one end and you can remove it.
here are my sieves:
Set of 6
Largest holes
Smallest holes
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

Bart

« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2021, 11:02:03 AM »
Thanks Carolyn,
I will probably not invest that kind of money- and it is also more stuff to store. I do use all your methods, except the plastic & static method, thanks for the tip.
I recruited the wind, poured the seeds from one container into another 50 cm below; that worked really well. You lose some seed, but on large quantities of not so precious seed it is a good time saver. I'll get them in the post now, my measly contribution this year. Cyclamen seed-set was ok, but many other genera did not produce a lot.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal