We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: paeonia seed, germination help?  (Read 11036 times)

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
Re: paeonia seed, germination help?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2008, 06:53:27 AM »
Hans, I seem to have missed this discussion. But we tried using Kaliumsulfat instead of the
British potash in the same way as Ian does and bulbous plants in pot flowered much better.
Now I only grow plants in the garden.
I don't use organic fertilizer either, but for rock plants I always use fertilizer with low
nitrogen, for instance here we can buy NPK 7.14.28, which gives for these plants the best
results. What Ian uses is about similar, Low Nitrogen and high Kalium
Here I quote Ian in his Bulblog:

Every plant food should display the analysis as a formula N. P. K. and above you should be able to see 5.3, 7.5, 10 so this mix has 5.3% N, 7.5% P & 10%K plus it has added magnesium (helps the plant produce chlorophyll) and trace elements. It is this analysis that should guide you to which plant food you will use.
I don't see why not using the Kaliumsulfat because there is more Mg. in it as seemingly in
the Potash Ian uses.

When we grew plants commercially I remember we always gave our beds before planting our
stock plants for propagating, Superfosfat and Kiseritt(Magnesium).
We produced about 20 years ago for instance more than 100.000 Aubrieta in 9 cm pots yearly.
And in one year we forgot to give the Superfosfat on one stock bed. The propagated plants in pots
from this bed flowered in the next year much less and we could not sell them as flowering plants in the quality our customers were used to receive from us.

BTW. Luc is from Belgium, but we speak the same language.  ;D
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2008, 08:19:38 AM »
Dear Luit ,

Excuse me ( it was a senior moment ) with changing the names .... :'(

Yes –I try too to get fertilizer with low nitrogen and high kalium – here is what I have found ( here in Germany )

Liquid fertilizer : Algoflash 6-3-6
Tomato fertilizer : 4-6-8

For my borders I use a product called BLAUKORN = Nitro phoska perfect ( this is very common here ) :
15 – 5 – 20 – ( +2 +8 )

Also I make in fall ( or spring for the wintergrowers ) a solution with this Patentkali and water with it .

In this year we have used for all our terrasse plants Osmocote ( 10 -11-18 ( + 2 ) - this works really fine and we can save a lot of work -I think  this this is one of reason that our Oleander flowers so nice in this year ...
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2008, 04:46:44 PM »

Excuse me ( it was a senior moment ) with changing the names ....
Hans, that sounds familiar.  ;D

Blaukorn is used here by many gardeners too, but there is always high nitrogen in it which I don't like and often low phosphor, but that is mostly under pressure of the "green" people who want that the cows have to stay in the stables because of to many fosfates in the air.
But plants do need fosfates!
Who says we gardeners are not "green"?
For perennials I mostly use NPK 12.10.18, with best results. (Our nursery used this more than fifty years)
Plants never get too fat and are good flowering.
I don't like liquid fertilizers, because I would have to much work then every week.
For plants in pots I find Osmocote o.k. but I would never use it in the open ground.
You never know when it's working in winter time and can give a lot of damage with late frosts.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

nicheplanthead

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2008, 04:03:21 PM »
Self sealing plastic bag with damp vermiculite and use treatment suggested with pots put in frig.
space saving and you can easily see seed germination..
believe Kristal Walek "Gardens North Seed" pioneered this method as the best and easiest and I can vouche for that. Also good for any bulbs seed from lillies to cyclamen.
Stuart Hechinger
Beaconsfield
Quebec
Canada
-25C
25"/year

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal