We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: NARGS Study Day - 6th February 2021  (Read 674 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
NARGS Study Day - 6th February 2021
« on: January 09, 2021, 02:32:46 PM »
NARGS Rocks Crevices Gardening Vertically and Horizontally - A Virtual Study Day

Tickets coming soon - available to buy  for  both NARGS members and  others.

For more information, keep checking: https://www.nargs.org/nargs-rocks-crevices-gardening-vertically-and-horizontally-virtual-study-day?fbclid=IwAR0A-FuwwTqPc-UpIZbcSdCRrEfQbgeTnkVdNjyyP_pxixH5xNHThIHHDcU

Saturday, February 6, 2021.

The North American Rock Garden Society will present a day devoted to the study of crevice gardens on Saturday, February 6, 2021. This study day will consist of six 45-minute sessions with a two-hour intermission.

Cost is $25 for NARGS members and $50 for non-members, which includes a NARGS membership for a year. This study day will be recorded so ticket holders can watch it whenever they like. Check the nargs.org website later for details.

Generally (and very briefly) crevice gardens are made from slabs of rock arranged diagonally or vertically allowing plants just space enough to send roots down between the rocks.

Six eminently knowledgeable gardeners, designers, and authors from Vancouver to Nova Scotia and North Carolina to Utah, will present aspects of crevice gardening ranging from a historical perspective to cultural practices, planning and materials.

Paul Spriggs (British Columbia) leads off with a "Brief History of Crevice Gardening” in the broad context of international rock gardening;
Kenton Seth (Colorado) will speak on “Crevice Garden Construction,” guidance aimed at the general public;
Jeremy Schmidt (North Carolina) will shift the focus to the Southeast and talk about boulder construction in "From Big Rocks to Little Rocks";
Susan Sims (Utah) introduces a new world of plants to the dry land gardener and a new array of challenges in the "Dryland Crevice Garden/My Crevice Garden";
Jay Akerley of British Columbia speaks about his experiences building budget-conscious crevice gardens in "Crevice Gardens for Small Spaces"; and
Roslyn Duffus (Nova Scotia) in "From the Mighty to the Modest” takes us from the Bicentennial Botanic Garden at Truro, Nova Scotia, to a small crevice built from recycled concrete.

678907-0

.....from Jay Akerley:

"It is an incredible honour to be presenting "Crevice Gardens for Small Spaces" as part of the North American Rock Garden Society's (NARGS) upcoming Virtual Study Day on Saturday, February 6, 2021:
***Crevices: Gardening Vertically and Horizontally. How to build, plant, display, and celebrate gardening with rock garden plants in crevices.***
The study day is an online Zoom Meeting which will be recorded so ticket holders can watch it on-demand, whenever they like!
With "Crevice Gardens for Small Spaces", I will share my experiences building budget-conscious crevice gardens in both wet maritime USDA Zone 8 and montane Zone 3 climates in Western Canada. I'll share tips for gleaning inspiration from nature and from fellow gardeners online, obtaining materials inexpensively or even at zero cost, and growing some of my favourite rock garden plants suitable for the smaller crevice garden - plants that are regularly available from the NARGS Seed Exchange.

Joining me on February 6 will be five leaders in crevice garden design and construction; each of whom have inspired and in a couple of cases directly mentored me in my own exploits:
-Paul Spriggs (British Columbia) leads off with a "Brief History of Crevice Gardening” in the broad context of international rock gardening;
-Kenton Seth (Colorado) will speak on “Crevice Garden Construction,” guidance aimed at the general public;
-Jeremy Schmidt (North Carolina) will shift the focus to the Southeast and talk about boulder construction in "From Big Rocks to Little Rocks";
-Susan Sims (Utah) introduces a new world of plants to the dry land gardener and a new array of challenges in the "Dryland Crevice Garden/My Crevice Garden";
-Roslyn Duffus (Nova Scotia) in "From the Mighty to the Modest” takes us from the Bicentennial Botanic Garden at Truro, Nova Scotia, to a small crevice built from recycled concrete.

For more information, keep checking: https://www.nargs.org/nargs-rocks-crevices-gardening-vertically-and-horizontally-virtual-study-day?fbclid=IwAR0A-FuwwTqPc-UpIZbcSdCRrEfQbgeTnkVdNjyyP_pxixH5xNHThIHHDcU

NARGS encourages the study and cultivation of a wide range of plants and garden forms and welcomes both beginners and experts. Members receive access to publications, seed exchanges, tours, videos, meetings, and garden visits.
Note: I cannot remember who gave me the Saxifraga photo top left but I will determine and give credit (it’s one of three individuals). All other photos are mine."
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal