We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica 2021  (Read 78178 times)

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
Re: Hepatica 2021
« Reply #585 on: May 06, 2021, 11:52:28 AM »
Hepatica nobilis var. pyrenaica x japonica is ending flowering. Look at the leaves that are getting more sun, they are darker. All are divisions from one plant.
Belgium

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #586 on: May 08, 2021, 02:17:42 PM »
Gabriela, when those transsilvanicas were in flower that must have been impressive!

We can only imagine Herman, I only cross the ocean in late summer, and not every year. I know the ones on Tampa Mountains they are mainly blue, but also H. x media can be present.

Nice overview of transsilvanica foliage. Here also plants are growing new foliage, and because of the cool weather some are still flowering; mainly maiden forms but also H. nobilis var. pyrenaica.

Here is my H. transs. 'Schwanensee' awaiting patiently in line to be planted.

And my little 'Winterfreude' planted last fall (I had more seedlings).

H. nobilis maiden form with marbled foliage

And a maiden acutiloba (I used the brush to pollinate it at the beginning but now I run out of 'donors' :)

I forgot to post the H. nobilis var. pyrenaica.

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #587 on: May 09, 2021, 07:27:18 AM »
I have just looked up about Hepatica transsilvanica 'Blue Eyes' it is a selection from the Netherlands, by Kees Huisman from the
old variety H. transsilvanica ’deBuis’, light blue with a darker center. 'Blue Eyes' is probably fertile.
H. transsilvanica 'deBuis' (selection, original from 1930, also under the name 'De Buis') is fertile, sometimes they talk about 'deBuis-strain' (or 'De Buis Strain'), seed raised plants from 'deBuis'.
H. x media 'Buis' is a crossing and sterile.

Herman, thank you for this information!
'Blue Eyes' is a good Hepatica for me, it flowers freely and flowers are good size. I will have to look more carefully for the seeds.

Gabriela, a very nice maiden H.acutiloba. :)
Leena from south of Finland

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #588 on: May 09, 2021, 08:50:27 AM »

And a maiden acutiloba (I used the brush to pollinate it at the beginning but now I run out of 'donors' :)

I forgot to post the H. nobilis var. pyrenaica.

Gabriela, nice maiden acutiloba with some good seeds! Pyrenaica has beautiful leaves!
Belgium

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #589 on: May 11, 2021, 07:18:47 AM »
There are still some hepaticas flowering.
'Louise Kohler' just started a week ago.
These H.acutiloba plants are grown from Gabriela's seed and are in quite shady place, maybe that is why the late flowering.
Leena from south of Finland

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #590 on: May 11, 2021, 07:28:00 AM »
These H.acutiloba plants are grown from Gabriela's seed and are in quite shady place, maybe that is why the late flowering.
Leena, nice Hepatica's!
Belgium

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #591 on: May 11, 2021, 10:06:26 PM »
Not just hepatica but 1 minute 47 seconds well spent;

Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Gabriela

« Reply #592 on: May 11, 2021, 11:52:57 PM »

Thanks Gail, a beautiful 'spring dance' video.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Gabriela

« Reply #593 on: May 12, 2021, 12:00:00 AM »
Gabriela, nice maiden acutiloba with some good seeds! Pyrenaica has beautiful leaves!

Thanks Herman. Actually I had a question I forgot to ask earlier in the spring: all H. nobilis var. pyrenaica plants have marbled leaves or just some?

Hepaticas are really flowering for a long time this year Leena! In my garden I also have 2  H. acutiloba which grow with more shade still holding their flowers. It id incredible.
Seeds collecting will be crazy this year.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #594 on: May 12, 2021, 07:27:15 AM »
Beautiful video Gail, thank you.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 07:29:55 AM by Herman Mylemans »
Belgium

Carsten

« Reply #595 on: May 12, 2021, 07:30:54 AM »
Thanks Herman. Actually I had a question I forgot to ask earlier in the spring: all H. nobilis var. pyrenaica plants have marbled leaves or just some?

Gabriela, H. nob. var. pyrenaica is well known for itīs marbled leaves but there are other forms like plain green ones as well.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 07:32:36 AM by Carsten »
Bavarian Oberland - 695m - zone 6b

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #596 on: May 12, 2021, 08:03:00 AM »

Hepaticas are really flowering for a long time this year Leena! In my garden I also have 2  H. acutiloba which grow with more shade still holding their flowers. It id incredible.
Seeds collecting will be crazy this year.
Gabriela, H. nobilis var. pyrenaica has indeed marbled leaves. Most people think if they have beautiful dark marbled leaves that it is pyrenaica. There are also nobilis with beautiful leaves but they have pink connective and pyrenaica has white till yellow connective. So there will be probably also variation in the color of the leaves of pyrenaica, but always with a pattern.
I have added different colors of leaves from our garden from H. nobilis var. pyrenaica (the conectives where right so surely not normal H. nobilis)
Belgium

Gabriela

« Reply #597 on: May 12, 2021, 05:51:56 PM »
Gabriela, H. nob. var. pyrenaica is well known for itīs marbled leaves but there are other forms like plain green ones as well.

Thank you Carsten. From a batch of var. pyrenaica seeds I got a couple of white flowered plants, with almost plain leaves. I never saw it growing in the wild to know the possible variations.
I guess people prefer the marbled leaves so they only show those.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Gabriela

« Reply #598 on: May 12, 2021, 05:57:47 PM »
Gabriela, H. nobilis var. pyrenaica has indeed marbled leaves. Most people think if they have beautiful dark marbled leaves that it is pyrenaica. There are also nobilis with beautiful leaves but they have pink connective and pyrenaica has white till yellow connective. So there will be probably also variation in the color of the leaves of pyrenaica, but always with a pattern.
I have added different colors of leaves from our garden from H. nobilis var. pyrenaica (the conectives where right so surely not normal H. nobilis)

Thank you Herman. I know there are other forms of H. nobilis with marbled leaves and it would be indeed difficult to tell which ones are var. pyrenaica.
Besides the specimen I posted, I also have from another batch one like shown in your third picture (the leaf are smaller and more leathery); the connective are greenish to white in all (very much like in H. americana).
Plus the white flowered but with almost plain leaves.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #599 on: May 12, 2021, 06:17:18 PM »
Last to flower here is a miniature H. falconeri (here dwarfed by Hepatica x schlyteri (Blue Marble Group) and H. maxima). Bought from Ashwoods in 2018 it has barely increased and I can only see one other flower bud to come - I think I probably should release it from its pot...
689878-0

Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal