We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica 2021  (Read 78196 times)

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
Re: Hepatica 2021
« Reply #555 on: May 01, 2021, 08:12:22 AM »
And one of the most interesting find of this spring: a plant with large, multi-white flowers which have a blue eye when opening.
The foliage falls in between americana and acutiloba, like it happened in other occasions, leading more and more to the belief of hybrids between the 2 species.
But I await to see the new foliage, maybe it is more distinct.

Gabriela, indeed an interesting find. I am also curious for the new leaves. Hopefully you can show a picture of the new leaves later.
Belgium

Peppa

• Always diggin'! :)
    • My Garden Blog
« Reply #556 on: May 01, 2021, 08:15:43 PM »
I have grown several H. acutiloba from seeds from a wild collected source that my friend kindly sent to me several years ago and they are a very nice blue with a white edge. One year the new leaves of some of these seedlings came up looking more like H. americana (very rounded) and then the next year, they went back to sharp, pointed lobes. I have always suspected that this may be a naturally-occurring hybrid.

Peppa

From the beautiful Pacific Northwest, USA,
where summer is mild and dry
but winter is dark and very wet...
USDA Zone 7b or 8 (depends on the year)
http://seattlepuppy.blog82.fc2.com

kris

« Reply #557 on: May 01, 2021, 10:23:20 PM »
Hepatica acutiloba flowering in the garden now.
The blue Hepatica acutiloba is a seedling and it has a nice bright colour.
Others are various shades of pink to white.
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #558 on: May 01, 2021, 11:09:33 PM »
Hepatica acutiloba flowering in the garden now.
The blue Hepatica acutiloba is a seedling and it has a nice bright colour.
Others are various shades of pink to white.
Kris, your acutiloba’s have beautiful colors, especially the pink one.
Belgium

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #559 on: May 01, 2021, 11:16:14 PM »
I have grown several H. acutiloba from seeds from a wild collected source that my friend kindly sent to me several years ago and they are a very nice blue with a white edge. One year the new leaves of some of these seedlings came up looking more like H. americana (very rounded) and then the next year, they went back to sharp, pointed lobes. I have always suspected that this may be a naturally-occurring hybrid.

Peppa, have the leaf shapes become more stable with age?
Belgium

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #560 on: May 02, 2021, 01:01:33 AM »
Gabriela, indeed an interesting find. I am also curious for the new leaves. Hopefully you can show a picture of the new leaves later.

I will have a picture at some point Herman but don't wait for it; it is a place where I usually visit only twice, spring and fall, because it is not nearby.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #561 on: May 02, 2021, 01:08:55 AM »
Nice assortment of acutiloba colors Kris.

Peppa: I also noticed that sometimes the new foliage of young seedlings of H. acutiloba (usually 2 years old seedlings) can resemble those of H. americana. I think it is just a juvenile character.
Same for H. acutiloba fo. diversiloba - it takes a few years for the young plants to develop leaves with extra lobes.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Peppa

• My Garden Blog
« Reply #562 on: May 02, 2021, 03:16:24 AM »
Nice assortment of acutiloba colors Kris.

Peppa: I also noticed that sometimes the new foliage of young seedlings of H. acutiloba (usually 2 years old seedlings) can resemble those of H. americana. I think it is just a juvenile character.
Same for H. acutiloba fo. diversiloba - it takes a few years for the young plants to develop leaves with extra lobes.

Yes, of course when young the leaves of H. acutiloba are not as pointed as they are when mature, but when I took these pictures, the plant was five years old and it was its second year to bloom. That was 2018. I have attached pictures I took today of the leaves of the same plant and, with the exception of two leaves that are quite rounded, the rest resemble acutiloba for the most part, although when compared to other H. acutiloba, they are not as sharp. This may be within the range in leaf variation of the species, but since I have seen this plant produce rounded leaves for several years (including this year), and none of the other several dozen acutiloba plants of similar age that I am currently growing do this, I am thinking that this is possibly not a pure acutiloba but is in fact a natural hybrid with americana.689157-0689159-1
Peppa

Peppa

• My Garden Blog
« Reply #563 on: May 02, 2021, 03:25:44 AM »
Peppa, have the leaf shapes become more stable with age?

Herman, not entirely. It seems like the plant wants to be H. acutiloba, but it still can't quite decide completely!
Peppa

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #564 on: May 02, 2021, 07:21:41 AM »
Herman, not entirely. It seems like the plant wants to be H. acutiloba, but it still can't quite decide completely!
Peppa, what about its offspring or is the plant sterile. You should expect that the leaves of the same plant to look alike or different seedlings have grown into each other.
Belgium

Peppa

• My Garden Blog
« Reply #565 on: May 02, 2021, 08:20:41 AM »
Peppa, what about its offspring or is the plant sterile. You should expect that the leaves of the same plant to look alike or different seedlings have grown into each other.

I self-pollinated this plant by hand and sowed the seeds several years ago and this spring one of the seedlings has bloomed. The interesting thing is that the flower is exactly like the parent (blue with white picotee) and two of the leaves look like H. americana. The other un-bloomed seedlings look similar.
Peppa

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #566 on: May 02, 2021, 08:24:30 AM »
I self-pollinated this plant by hand and sowed the seeds several years ago and this spring one of the seedlings has bloomed. The interesting thing is that the flower is exactly like the parent (blue with white picotee) and two of the leaves look like H. americana. The other un-bloomed seedlings look similar.
Thank you Peppa, this is interesting to follow up.
Belgium

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #567 on: May 02, 2021, 05:15:52 PM »
Some leaves from Hepatica x media:

Hepatica x media ‘Buis’ is sterile.

Hepatica x media 'Blue Jewel' is sterile.

Belgium

Carolyn

« Reply #568 on: May 02, 2021, 10:09:00 PM »
Herman,
My hepatica ‘Blue Jewel’ is labelled as transsylvanica, not x media. I don’t get seeds from mine, so I think I agree, it seems sterile. I googled ‘Blue Jewel’ and all the nurseries seem to label it as transsylvanica. So is it the species or a sterile hybrid?
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #569 on: May 02, 2021, 10:59:46 PM »
Herman,
My hepatica ‘Blue Jewel’ is labelled as transsylvanica, not x media. I don’t get seeds from mine, so I think I agree, it seems sterile. I googled ‘Blue Jewel’ and all the nurseries seem to label it as transsylvanica. So is it the species or a sterile hybrid?
Carolyn, the sterile ‘Blue Jewel’ is a crossing between nobilis and transsilvanica. That means Hepatica x media ‘Blue Jewel’

See Ashwood Hepatica guide

Or https://shop.alpine-peters.de/produkt-kategorie/hepatica-leberbluemchen/zuechtungen/x-media/

Or http://www.flowercards.de/pdf/Hepatica%20-%20Leberbluemchen.pdf

Carolyn, I don’t know if all the nurseries online are talking about the same plant.
Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal