We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica 2021  (Read 79774 times)

kris

Re: Hepatica 2021
« Reply #450 on: April 13, 2021, 12:10:18 AM »
Nice pictures Leena and Gabriela. There is a set back in temperature and windy outside. Snowing yesterday. The weather will be better after 3 days. All the hepatica flowers are suffering with snow and wind.
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #451 on: April 14, 2021, 11:51:04 PM »
Very nice and a lot of flowers, Gabriela!

Here Hepaticas are slowly opening more, but still only H.pubescens is fully flowering. They have clumped up nicely (two are not doing so well, others are very good). I am so glad it has survived so well here (now for two winters). H.nobilis is almost opening in sunny spots and H.japonica shows colour.
Pictures of two of my H.japonica ex Hohobeni plants today  :): Thank you Carsten!
Cool weather is perfect for a long Hepatica flowering Leena! Here, after a too warm period and torrential rains quite a few flowers have been fading fast.
Catching back with few more H. acutiloba from last week, in the wild this time:

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #452 on: April 15, 2021, 07:41:38 AM »
So lovely views from the woods. And that multipetal form is really nice!
This spring seems to be a good one for spring flowers, and though there have been freezing nights (last night -4), days have been now sunny and +10 or even more, which is enough for snowdrops and other plants to open their flowers. And for first bees and butterflies. :)
First H.hepaticas are opening, and first of the H.japonica to open fully is 'Hakurin'. It is perfect this spring!
Leena from south of Finland

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #453 on: April 15, 2021, 08:33:04 AM »
Gabriela and Leena, it is a pleasure to see your Hepatica's. Thanks a lot.
I have the impression that fewer people are posting photos of Hepatica's than last year.
Belgium

Carsten

« Reply #454 on: April 15, 2021, 09:16:10 AM »
Very nice plants, Leena and Gabriela! Good to see yours flowering (and yours, Kris!) while here the season came to an end.
Bavarian Oberland - 695m - zone 6b

Gabriela

« Reply #455 on: April 15, 2021, 11:27:18 PM »
So lovely views from the woods. And that multipetal form is really nice!
This spring seems to be a good one for spring flowers, and though there have been freezing nights (last night -4), days have been now sunny and +10 or even more, which is enough for snowdrops and other plants to open their flowers. And for first bees and butterflies. :)
First H.hepaticas are opening, and first of the H.japonica to open fully is 'Hakurin'. It is perfect this spring!

Hakurin does look like the perfect Hepatica Leena :)

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Gabriela

« Reply #456 on: April 15, 2021, 11:35:47 PM »
Gabriela and Leena, it is a pleasure to see your Hepatica's. Thanks a lot.
I have the impression that fewer people are posting photos of Hepatica's than last year.

I think is just the same Herman. There are always more pictures from the potted collections early in the spring, then fewer from people growing them in the ground or from the wild.

It is more difficult to take good pictures with plants growing in the ground, even in the garden. Too much sun, too cloudy, or too much rain....
In the woods is even more complicated, being there at the right time when the flowers open and in the right day. I take many more pictures just for my records but they are not 'to show' quality.
Here's one 'wet' H. americana from the garden :) You almost feel sorry for it!

One blue H. acutiloba wasn't too bad, but a pink one I wanted to take a photo was too splashed with soil.

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #457 on: April 16, 2021, 07:46:57 AM »
I think is just the same Herman. There are always more pictures from the potted collections early in the spring, then fewer from people growing them in the ground or from the wild.

It is more difficult to take good pictures with plants growing in the ground, even in the garden. Too much sun, too cloudy, or too much rain....
In the woods is even more complicated, being there at the right time when the flowers open and in the right day. I take many more pictures just for my records but they are not 'to show' quality.
Here's one 'wet' H. americana from the garden :) You almost feel sorry for it!
One blue H. acutiloba wasn't too bad, but a pink one I wanted to take a photo was too splashed with soil.
Gabriela, your americana has a lot of hairs! Indeed it is more difficult to take pictures in the garden and the plants have damage of the weather or slugs. But they are still lovely. I also think more and more people are using other ways like facebook, Instagram, flickr ...
Belgium

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #458 on: April 16, 2021, 11:51:49 AM »
Gabriela, your americana has a lot of hairs! Indeed it is more difficult to take pictures in the garden and the plants have damage of the weather or slugs. But they are still lovely. I also think more and more people are using other ways like facebook, Instagram, flickr ...
I am sure you are  correct, Herman, these  are the  "fashionable" places  right  now  - but  I am happy  that this Forum still has faithful members who support  it, and  contribute their experience  to this place - providing knowledge to any  who come to learn, as well as  pretty  pictures !
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #459 on: April 16, 2021, 02:04:28 PM »
From Dimitri Zubov -

687160-0
Hepatica nobilis, Kiev Region, Ukraine
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #460 on: April 16, 2021, 07:02:08 PM »
Hepatica nobilis 'Alba Plena' found in Borgholm is still flowering.

Hepatica acutiloba 'Louise Koehler' is starting.
Belgium

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #461 on: April 16, 2021, 09:16:54 PM »
Nice ones Herman and lovely foliage on Louise Koehler.

A question to you all!
How different are the different alba plena?

I see "Irish", "Stockholm" and "Borgholm" / "Öland" form. I have seen nobilis alba plena for sale and have been tempted but as it has not been named I have hesitated.
Anyone know of a site that can show differences?

Normal Hepatica Flowers change a bit in colour with sun/ shade and during their maturity. Same with size of flowers between same plant so I wonder how different they are.

I am also interested to know how to see a difference between nobilis and japonica as some nobilis doubles are sometimes offered for high prizes. I am afraid that someone dishonest has bought a japonica and sell it for 3 times higher as nobilis and I for sure do not like to spend money for plants that might be fakes and have a risk of not being fully hard for me.
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Gabriela

« Reply #462 on: April 17, 2021, 12:28:23 AM »
Gorgeous H. nobilis from Ukraine!

All H. americana from my region are quite 'hairy' :) Herman. They are more noticeable when the plants are wet I suppose.

'Louise Koehler' is such a beauty! So interesting to see that it flowers after the new foliage has grown. All others H. acutiloba are flowering before the new foliage appears.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Leena

« Reply #463 on: April 17, 2021, 07:31:48 AM »

H.americana from your seeds has started to flower also here.  :) They have much shorter flower stems than my native H.nobilis, I remember this was also last year. Flowers are different shade of blue and very nice.
Is it typical of them to be shorter plants than H.nobilis? Short flower stems make taking pictures very difficult, and then there is sun to consider of flowers are looking in the wrong way or something else to make taking pictures difficult.

Leena

« Reply #464 on: April 17, 2021, 07:36:17 AM »
I am also interested to know how to see a difference between nobilis and japonica as some nobilis doubles are sometimes offered for high prizes. I am afraid that someone dishonest has bought a japonica and sell it for 3 times higher as nobilis and I for sure do not like to spend money for plants that might be fakes and have a risk of not being fully hard for me.

I don't know the answer to your question about the differences, but I think the best way is to buy only from a known reputable seller. It is the same with snowdrops when the differences may be very small, and the temptation to sell plants with wrong names may be high, so buying from someone known to have good reputation (even if the price is higher) is  only way to be sure to get the right plant.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal