We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica 2021  (Read 78270 times)

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
Re: Hepatica 2021
« Reply #315 on: March 14, 2021, 02:18:55 PM »
Good luck with all your new acquisitions Joakim! Lucky that you can purchase all sorts of treasures.

Re: "How safe is it to have plants of nobilis and transylvanicas in pots when they are in bud and there will be temperatures a few degrees below zero (Celsius that is).
I was planning to leave the plants in the pots until they show colour on flower and foliage to determine where they will be planted.
The same goes for Cordyalis solida plants that I also have in a pot. "

I say you don't have a choice anyway, you cannot plant in the ground at this time. So, keep them together in a sheltered location, and if it gets too cold, you can cover them
overnight with a blanket.
For Corydalis solida I advise you keep it growing in the pot until it goes dormant (water, fertilize to encourage good growth of the tuber). If you plant/transplant Corydalis while in growth they don't like it and go dormant right away.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #316 on: March 14, 2021, 09:46:22 PM »
Thanks for the input Gabriela
Yes Gabriela I am fortunate to be able to get the plants. Nothing from the UK so Europe is the only option. No markets here in Sweden so online is the only option. The prices for a mix box was quite ok so a good start to get a bit different colours. Will be interesting to see foliage and colour. So far I see a few pink buds so I am happy.. Maybe go for different plants "named" next time.
I see that the hepaticas is not so far off in how far they have come now and they seem to be ok. They got a few days of  above zero so will make it I hope. I can put them under some cover If it get really cold.

The corydalis is the ones with biggest difference between Sweden and Germany so will stay in their pots.

The ground is  frost free now but I will wait a bit to plant the hepaticas. The Eranthis went into ground as it was more or less as far come as the Swedish ones. Seems there will be seed on some so hopefully I can spread them to be able to get a lot in mixed colors :)
I also planted the snowdrops that came in the "green" and they will hopefully enjoy it too. Less lawn and more place for flowers :)
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #317 on: March 15, 2021, 01:49:46 PM »
Last picture of our Hepaticas. Brian lifted them all out of the greenhouse for me this morning.

Top row:- Hep. j. HoHo Beni    Hep. j. Ryougetsu     Hep. j. Gyousei

Front row:-  Hep. j. Toki    Hep. nobilis Pygmy strain     Hep. n. blue      Hep. n. pink
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #318 on: March 15, 2021, 02:05:40 PM »
Last picture of our Hepaticas. Brian lifted them all out of the greenhouse for me this morning.

Top row:- Hep. j. HoHo Beni    Hep. j. Ryougetsu     Hep. j. Gyousei

Front row:-  Hep. j. Toki    Hep. nobilis Pygmy strain     Hep. n. blue      Hep. n. pink
Shelagh, very nice bench!
Belgium

mellifera

« Reply #319 on: March 15, 2021, 05:33:37 PM »
Thank you for sharing Shelag.  Hep. j. Gyousei had a good deep colour. Maybe you have a single photo from it?
I will divide a few of my hepaticas after flowering. If anybody is interested please let me know per pm.

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #320 on: March 16, 2021, 03:22:51 PM »
Hepatica nobilis 'Peach Blossom' selection from Lithuania.
Belgium

Carsten

« Reply #321 on: March 17, 2021, 11:36:26 AM »
Different types of Hepatica nobilis, maiden and supercentra.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 11:58:43 AM by Carsten »
Bavarian Oberland - 695m - zone 6b

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #322 on: March 17, 2021, 01:29:28 PM »
Very nice maiden forms and supercentra! Supercentra is not the same as semidouble, or is the a difference what is called supercentra and which semidouble?
I like how your H.nobilis has petals which are wide and overlap each other. Here in the wild most H.nobilis have narrower petals, but I have found some with wide petals, too.
Leena from south of Finland

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #323 on: March 17, 2021, 02:26:52 PM »
Carsten, nice maiden form, easy for making crosses.
Belgium

Gabriela

« Reply #324 on: March 18, 2021, 12:10:08 AM »
Hepatica nobilis 'Peach Blossom' selection from Lithuania.

Nice Herman, large flowers and it seems very robust.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Gabriela

« Reply #325 on: March 18, 2021, 12:13:12 AM »

Was the maiden form a find or grown from seeds Carsten?
Same like Leena, it seems self explanatory, but I don't know the term 'supercentra'.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Carsten

« Reply #326 on: March 18, 2021, 08:00:18 AM »
Was the maiden form a find or grown from seeds Carsten?
Same like Leena, it seems self explanatory, but I don't know the term 'supercentra'.
All three forms are from seed. Pic 2 and 3 are seedlings of the 'Severin-Strain' distributed from Andreas Händel and originated (or offspring) from a cross of 'Schlyter's No. 5' (single blue, from Severin Schlyter) x 'Tausendschön' (multipetala, blue). The first one is a own cross from the plant in pic 3 with a very intense red form of nobilis.

Leena and Gabriela: There is one cultivar named 'Supercentra'. It's stamens are converted to tepals that look like a crown in the centre of the flower. In the meantime many other similar forms were grown from seed or found. I call them supercentra types.
Bavarian Oberland - 695m - zone 6b

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #327 on: March 18, 2021, 09:25:39 AM »
Thanks Carsten:).
Leena from south of Finland

mellifera

« Reply #328 on: March 18, 2021, 03:01:09 PM »
Amazing flowers Carsten!
Is Hep. nobilis 'Bergfexing' also a 'Supercentra'?

Gabriela

« Reply #329 on: March 18, 2021, 11:13:52 PM »
All three forms are from seed. Pic 2 and 3 are seedlings of the 'Severin-Strain' distributed from Andreas Händel and originated (or offspring) from a cross of 'Schlyter's No. 5' (single blue, from Severin Schlyter) x 'Tausendschön' (multipetala, blue). The first one is a own cross from the plant in pic 3 with a very intense red form of nobilis.

Leena and Gabriela: There is one cultivar named 'Supercentra'. It's stamens are converted to tepals that look like a crown in the centre of the flower. In the meantime many other similar forms were grown from seed or found. I call them supercentra types.

Thank you Carsten. The pink-rather violet maiden is very beautiful. You should obtain great seedlings from it!
Supercentra is a very good name for this type of flowers, rather than multipetals.

Because you asked about the pink nobilis multipetal - I am afraid the origin will remain unknown. The person who gave me the seeds answered: "name it and multiply it" :) He only remembers the seeds were from a blue multipetal from the garden (own cross, but the label is long gone). How come some flowered pink remains a mystery.

From the same batch, which had excellent germination, I have few more pots outdoors which will flower later, I am very curious about them.
With the name was easy, I named it 'Walter'; with the multiplying it will take some time.

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal