We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica 2021  (Read 79715 times)

mellifera

Re: Hepatica 2021
« Reply #270 on: March 09, 2021, 08:13:35 PM »
I like Hepatica japonica 'Ryokurei', because flower and leafes are beautiful.

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #271 on: March 09, 2021, 08:31:07 PM »
And finally Hep. japonica Blue Sandan. Yes I know I've posted it before but that was on the 17th February. Cool weather and a spot in the frame means it was still looking good yesterday.

Cool weather is perfect for a long flowering Shelagh, and your plants performed so well.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Gabriela

« Reply #272 on: March 09, 2021, 08:34:21 PM »
I think these two are my favourite -
Hepatica maxima x americana Ashwood Flare 4158-1-17
Hepatica maxima x americana Ashwood Flare 4158-1-18
Hepatica maxima x nobilis white Tabby have nice apple blossomy flowers and pretty marbled leaves

Beautiful crosses Anne. I've never seen the H. americana Ashwood Flare (except in pictures) - how much bigger are the flowers on your seedlings?
I supposed H. maxima is used as a parent for flowers size (?).

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Gabriela

« Reply #273 on: March 09, 2021, 08:36:21 PM »
These are hybrid seedlings from a white japonica with violet anthers and a white/blue pyrenaica.

Fantastic Carsten, congrats. I like the lavender shade in all of them. And maiden flowers so you can easily cross them again!
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Gabriela

« Reply #274 on: March 09, 2021, 08:45:36 PM »
I like Hepatica japonica 'Ryokurei', because flower and leafes are beautiful.

Nice, I'm also after nice foliage Mellifera. Here's a japonica cross (not my cross) with superb foliage. It is also a good grower and I planted one in the ground last year. I am eagerly awaiting for the snow to melt.
682221-0

Today was special, I managed to open my cold frame first time since November (after shoveling snow+ice). The pots are frozen solid but hopefully they are OK.
Seedlings of Hepatica americana - shown in my avatar, one of my favourite and single specimen in the woods so in the year I found it I sowed all the seeds (greedy I now...).
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

kris

« Reply #275 on: March 09, 2021, 11:31:56 PM »
Nice, I'm also after nice foliage Mellifera. Here's a japonica cross (not my cross) with superb foliage. It is also a good grower and I planted one in the ground last year. I am eagerly awaiting for the snow to melt.
(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Today was special, I managed to open my cold frame first time since November (after shoveling snow+ice). The pots are frozen solid but hopefully they are OK.
Seedlings of Hepatica americana - shown in my avatar, one of my favourite and single specimen in the woods so in the year I found it I sowed all the seeds (greedy I now...).
(Attachment Link)

very nice leaf pattern. Gabriela your Hepatica acutiloba and americana seedlings are still under snow .
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Gabriela

« Reply #276 on: March 10, 2021, 11:23:34 PM »
very nice leaf pattern. Gabriela your Hepatica acutiloba and americana seedlings are still under snow .

Under snow is good Kris, especially if it is still cold. My cold frame wasn't covered in snow for a while when the cold begun and I usually get a chance to open it a bit in late January or mid February, but not this year. Seedlings of Corydalis and other species are starting to grow very early inside; I don't understand how it happens with the pots being frozen solid.

The defrosted pots with Hepatica seedlings were looking good today; in the garage now, I will prick them out as soon as possible. I had good results with transplanting very early, before the new growth starts.

Few seedlings from a H. nobilis multipetal are flowering, like Carsten predicted, they are not doubles, but cute enough. I hope the one I gave you is blue at least, you have plenty of pink Hepatica.

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #277 on: March 11, 2021, 07:21:33 AM »
Gabriela, not double, but still beautiful! They are good Hepatica’s for in the garden.
Belgium

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #278 on: March 11, 2021, 10:05:15 AM »
Really beautiful flowers in the previous page from everyone!
Gabriela, your multipetal Hepatica nobilis are so pretty. Petals are in perfect order:).
Leena from south of Finland

Carsten

« Reply #279 on: March 11, 2021, 10:56:00 AM »

Few seedlings from a H. nobilis multipetal are flowering, like Carsten predicted, they are not doubles, but cute enough. I hope the one I gave you is blue at least, you have plenty of pink Hepatica.
(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)
Gabriela, did I? ;-)  Very pretty nevertheless! What about the parents? I can't remember. And I have never seen a pink Multipetala form of nobilis before. Well done!
Bavarian Oberland - 695m - zone 6b

Gunilla

« Reply #280 on: March 11, 2021, 11:16:13 AM »

Anne, they are stunning  :).
Gunilla   Ekeby in the south of Sweden

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #281 on: March 11, 2021, 05:04:35 PM »
Anne my word you have been busy, I don't know how you have the patience.

Gabriela I love the one flower with the purple anthers that's a beauty.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Gabriela

« Reply #282 on: March 11, 2021, 06:36:41 PM »
Thanks all. They seem to be good growers Herman, so yes I will plant some in the garden in late spring. I'll give away few, I don't need them all.

Carsten: in truth I didn't expect double flowers, but the anticipation of seeing new seedlings flower is hard to contend - as you well know :)
You mean you didn't see H. nobilis pink multipetals in the wild? I cannot believe there are not cultivated varieties around. I received the seeds as ex. H. nobilis multipetal, have no idea of the parents but I can inquire.
I also never found a Hepatica americana with true pink flowers, and multipetals are rare in general.

If it forms seeds you are welcomed, although this year there are just few flowers, plus who knows what will show up in the next generation.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

kris

« Reply #283 on: March 11, 2021, 07:15:46 PM »
Under snow is good Kris, especially if it is still cold. My cold frame wasn't covered in snow for a while when the cold begun and I usually get a chance to open it a bit in late January or mid February, but not this year. Seedlings of Corydalis and other species are starting to grow very early inside; I don't understand how it happens with the pots being frozen solid.

The defrosted pots with Hepatica seedlings were looking good today; in the garage now, I will prick them out as soon as possible. I had good results with transplanting very early, before the new growth starts.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

It is fantastic to see multipetal Hepatica on our side of the globe. Thank you Gabriela for the plant. Either pink or blue I will be very happy. I have lots of blue single petal ones too. I hope your Hepatica flowers this year. I kept that special plant inside, near the basement window and it is in bud now.
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

kris

« Reply #284 on: March 11, 2021, 07:30:23 PM »

Hepatica maxima x nobilis white Tabby have nice apple blossomy flowers and pretty marbled leaves
Lovely flowers Anne
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal